1. Racist AF: the Asian character in both “Pitch Perfect” movies is literally a human joke with no real dialogue, just “weirdo” surreal one-liners. The Latina character in the 2nd movie is the same, and the jokes involve how little her life is worth because she’s Latina. And Banks directed that one!
3. Homophobic: the black character’s lesbianism is literally joked about in the first movie and treated with a “hush hush wink wink” vibe from the other girls throughout both. The “Bellas” all treat it as something embarrassing and it’s only treated as normal the one time in each movie that the character shares an anecdote about herself.
To be clear:
1. I’m not saying that Spielberg shouldn’t make more movies with women leads, far from it!
2. I AM saying that it’s peak white feminism when you read through Spielberg’s Wiki or IMDB filmography, see The Color Purple, and not know that movie STARRED OPRAH WINFREY AND WHOOPI GOLDBERG.
3. I am ALSO saying that “Pitch Perfect 2″ directed by Banks was one of the most offensive movies I’ve watched in years (yeah I know there are worst movies, I don’t seek out shit), especially the “throwaway life / who cares if I die” joke line on the Latina character.
Elizabeth Banks - work on your own shit, hire women of color as writers, and watch The Color Purple for f*cks sake
I am reposting Jenny Slate. A lady I admire. These are her thoughts this morning and I want to second them. ⬅️ Enjoying Insta today as I avoid Twitter as part of #womenboycotttwitter my mental health needed this. I love anybody and everybody willing to accept it today. I am hugging you.