I love you and I need your in depth thoughts on DJ Otabek
Joy dies on a Thursday.
Yuri yelps as he stares at the Youtube app. Bile inches up his throat. He slides his cell phone across the dining room table to Otabek, silenced mid-sentence and staring at Yuri in concern.
“Tell me it wasn’t you,” Yuri implores over the sound of his heart breaking. Words are poison in his mouth, coating his teeth. His fingers are clenched against his palms, shaking.
“I thought we’d have more time before you found out,” the traitor intones, swiping a finger across the screen. He refuses to meet Yuri’s eyes. The truth is unhidden among the apologetic syllables. “Yuri, I-”
“How did this happen?”
“A friend dared me. It was before you knew of me,” Traitor replies. He does not say ‘before we met’. Yuri is not deaf to that silent rebuke.
“Was it all a lie?” Yuri bites out. The lights seem dim. Is this what happens when the world supernovas?
“Really Yura?” Otabek asks, a corner of his lips quirking up into a smile.
“YOU REMIXED A JJ SONG AND EXPECTED A DIFFERENT REACTION!”
- I can’t believe my popular (aka I put it in like everything I write) ideas of musical Otabek are true. Someone get the smelling salts.
- Musical friends Otabek and Leo confirmed! (I knew it for so long. FOR SO LONG!)
- Picture them venturing into record stores after practice when they skated together in California
- Sharing music from their cultures and borrowing genres and songs
- Pining JJ who wants Otabek to acknowledge him musically and on the ice
- Half of his fans came for the music and then stayed for the skating
- “Hey the hot DJ is on television!”
- “Oh that outfit is tragic but look at his shoulders!”
- THIS DRAMATIC ASS KNOWS HOW TO TRANSITION BETWEEN SONGS. HE KNOWS WHAT TO KEEP, HE KNOWS WHAT TO CUT, HE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH WHAT HE CAN DO BEFORE THE MUSIC ENDS.
- Considering the importance of balance in skating, he’s also great at keeping music level, so the output of songs in a row are never too jarring.
- Refused to do any public DJ-ing until his asshole ‘mischievous’ friends could no longer find ways to make fun of him
- If he sucked in public, that’s it, it’s over, those are the stories they would tell at his funeral
- Imagine Yuri visiting Kazakstan and goes out partying with the Otabek friend group
- Yuri has no idea what’s coming and is in a permanent state of shook via strobe lights and Otabek’s tight t-shirts
- Returning to Russia: “I HIT THE JACKPOT”
- Yuri is 110% convinced Otabek Altin is his reward for all the bullshit he has to put up with. He’s so cool.
- Cue awkward friendship/courtship over offers to help figure out music for the next season