so if there’s one single trope i’m always down to fight it’s the animal bride (folklore motif 402??) which a lot of you are probably familiar with as the selkie - the fisherman either falls in love, steals her skin to trap her on land/gain power over her, or they fall in love and THEN he steals her skin to keep her from leaving, and either way she spends a lot of time gazing sadly out to sea and then she or her child finds the skin and never returns again. and that’s awful on a whole lot of levels - it’s not love, it’s control.
BUT. but the thing is. you how selkies/seal women was a pretty common variation of this? another really popular one was swans.
i just want you to think about that for a moment. swans. like…I get it, they’re pretty, graceful birds, certainly it’s easy to imagine them magically becoming pretty graceful ladies? but have you ever fought a swan. swans are awful. swans are the devil’s geese. imagine seeing a pretty magic lady and being absolutely enchanted by her, and stealing her magic feather cloak, and then you go up and say ‘hey i’m in love with you, let me make you my queen, it will be great, we’ll be so happy’ and she just looks at you for a moment and…
you know i was going to say maybe she just shouts for her sisters and suddenly you’rerealizing you’ve made a terrible terrible mistake bc you’re surrounded by big fucking birds who are all hissing. but honestly if this swan lady is as aggressively down to brawl as any other generally unhappy swan, then she’d straight up fuck you up on her own. she’d just deck you roundhouse, honestly. you don’t fuck with swans. why does this trope exist
1. Nobody knows when her birthday is, her brother confirmed she doesn’t have one and if you ask her she will avoid the question.
2. She said she hates the sun and usually stays out of its way all the time.
“[Talking about filming Jurassic World in Hawaii] I have to say, I hate the sun so it wasn’t much fun for me…” (x)
3. She’s super pale.
4. She hasn’t aged in 10 years.
5. And we haven’t seen pictures of baby Katie. We only have this one and I mean, that could have been taken 100 years ago for all we know.
6. She played a vampire once and was pretty convincing.
7. She has those
hypnotizing out of this world eyes.
8. She always wears sunglasses to cover them, even inside.
9. She’s alluring and inhumanly beautiful.
10. She just looks like one…
11. Also, she loves meat, she wears mostly black clothes that cover every surface of her skin, loves cold weather, is highly intelligent, knows a lot about history (’cause she lived it) and loves it, doesn’t have any social media so she won’t be ‘out there’ and when she’s not filming she disappears for long periods of time and she barely leaves her house. I know there are more things that I’m forgetting. I’m just saying…