Ok, soI was hanging out with my best friend, and westarted playing tennis (not real tennis, Im talking about slapping eachothers hand and seeing who can stand it the longest) and bloody knuckes. And that got me thinking… Tennis and Bloody knuckles are games that really hurt but its fun and we do it anyway. Even if pain is an indicator that something is wrong, or we should stop doing whatever caused that pain. So I had to write about this.
Ever since Viavian’ak overheard Alana and Rosa talking about eating capsacin in large amounts, xe kept xer distance. Eventually, xe had to start working with them again. Xe didnt want to, but its not there couldbe anything else that humans did that was stupid or dangerous right? Sure, there were numerous things, but still. There couldnt be anything else stupid or dangerous they did “just for fun.” Viavian’ak was still afraid of them but… no use in keeping distance.
At least thats what xe thought til xe heard Rosa suggest they play Tennis or Bloody Knuckles to cure their boredom. Viavian’ak really hoped they chose to play tennies. Bloody knuckles sounded very dangerous… and bloody to. Xe took back what xe said about Humans not doing anymore dangerous and stupid activities than they do already. Rosa’s suggestion of bloody knuckles proved that wrong.
“Do I really have to choose between Bloody Knuckles and Tennis? Both of those are fun!”
“You gotta choose! Ok Actually, how about we do both? Lets start with bloody knuckles. I always win that one.”
“I will this time!”
“No you wont.” Rosa laughed a bit. Viavian’ak was horrified. Xe was gonna get a medic but… morbid curiosity kept them from going to get one. And then, they started punching eachother! Well, only eachother’s knuckles but still! Viavian’ak still couldnt get up to get a medic. Whether xe was frozen in curioistyor fear, xe didnt know. This much curiosity is ahuman thing! Humans are rubbing off on xer… They continued punching eachother’s knuckles for about five minutes before Alana flinched and pulled her hand up to her chest.
“Ok Ok you win again.”
“I knew I was.”
There was no blood but both of their knuckles were really red. Viavian’ak was pleasently surprised. Xe expected so much blood. But at least they were about to play tennis. A much more safer human activity. Xe did wonder where they were going to get the rackets and the balls.
“I always win at tennis to.”
“Ok, Im definitely winning this time!”
Viavian’ak thought for a second, that they were going to arm wrestle instead, but no! They started slapping eachother’s hand! Very hard! Viavian was horrified. This wasnt tennis!”What are you two doing! That is not tennis!”
Both Alana and Rosa looked over to xer. Neither stopped slapping the others hand. They glanced at eachother and laughed a bit. Alana decided to try and explain.
“Ok, Vi. The ‘proper’ name of this game is slap tennis.”
“But doesnt that hurt?!”
Rosa immediately nodded.”Oh yeah. A lot. Bloody knuckles hurts a lot to.”
“Then why do you continue to do it!?”
“I always win, and its fun.”
“Isnt pain an indicator that something is wrong or you should stop doing something?!”
Alana rolled her eyes.”Well yes, but this is fun pain.”
“Fun pain!?” Viavian’ak couldnt take this anymore and just got up and walked away. Xe just couldnt beleive it.”Humans induce pain on eachother for fun… for fun!”
highlights of the 18hr livestream’s Mario Kart sessions (feat. Supportive Brendan™ and Clueless Ashley™) pt. 3
• *lauren casually just feeds brian chips from offscreen*
• Brendan: “uh, Ashley, Kayla’s rooting for you because of strong women” Lauren: “no one rooted for me because of strong women!!” Brendan: “they all were upset because you left!” Lauren: “alright. okay yeah”
•Gabe: “these are the controls that have existed in every version of mario” Ashley: “I’ve never been good at it. also i haven’t played in like 15 years” Gabe: “it’s like riding a bike” Ashley: “i haven’t ridden a bike since i was 11”
• Brian: “hey can we please race in complete silence thank you so much”
• Lauren: “Gabe… who are you?” Gabe: “bottom right” Lauren: “well he’s a real grandstander, you might wanna keep him in check. look at him LOOK AT HIM i hate this guy”
• Brian: “guys sometimes you just go from 2nd to 5th in the blink of an eye. ain’t that just the way”
• Ashley: “am i supposed to be underwater???”
• Brendan *reading the chat*: “they’d like Lauren to continue cursing and they’re cheering for Ashley” Lauren: “i can only curse when I’m competing” Brian: “otherwise she’s like a Puritan” Lauren: “i’m a pure princess”
• Ashley: “Brendan, you and I are the same” Brendan: “at being terrible? fantastic. the score to beat, Ashley, is seven points total in four games”
• Joey: “FUCK. my. little. mouth.” Lauren: “Joey!” Joey: “sorry…” Clayton: “hey it’s not that little”
• *Clayton’s eating chicken and holding a bag of chips* Lauren: “it looks like you just pulled a chicken wing out of that bag”
• Ashley: “How many times do we have to go around in a circle?” Gabe: “three times it’s three laps” Ashley: “my hand is already hurtingggg”
• Lauren: “ooh the ghost!” Brian: “it’s a SQUID” Lauren: “no it’s NOT it’s a little ghost that goes around” Brian: “it is objectively… it is objectively a squid”
• Ashley: “i have carpal tunnel now”
•Ashley: “oww somebody hurt me and I don’t know why you would do that” Gabe: “Joey was that you you son of a bitch?” Joey *smugly*: “yes.”
• Lauren: “wait is that why i was moving so slow??” Joey: “yes well it stops you from moving very fast” Lauren: “what? i thought it was helping me… all this time it was cursing me?!?”
• Brian: “ok everybody get out their proverbial checkbooks cause it looks like Gabe is going down my friends”
• Ashley: “what do you want from me?! im trying really hard ok…”
• Lauren: “yeah jojo get him. fuck that guy he mugs too much”
• Ashley: “I’m really struggling with steering. You know what it is? I’m from California so I never really learned how to drive in the snow very well”
• Brendan: “Ashley you’re doing better sweetie!”
• Ashley: “i mean i hit that iceberg real good. i’m titanic”
• Lauren was just mumbling incoherently into Joey’s shoulder for a while
• Brendan: “someone provide Ashley with emotional support” Gabe: “you’re not last Ashley, you’re killin it”
• Lauren: “I am TIRED can we all just go to sleep now?”
• Ashley: “I’m gonna leave as soon as I finish losing this. I should already be asleep”
• Gavyn, to Ashley: “I’m behind you right now and I’m giving you all of the girl power vibes I’ve got”
• Brendan: “Kayla, I totally agree: the scoring does work like golf so I am still the winner in this room”
• Joey: “hell yeah I’m drifting hard I’m drifting fast and I’m gonna drift into this entire corner BYEEEE”
• Gabe: “someone just hit me with a goddamn boomerang” Ashley: “I hope it was me” Gabe: “it CANT have been” Ashley: “well SHUT UP you might have lapped me”
Will’s family didn’t seem off to him until he began going to grade school
That’s when he realized most people don’t eat by catching fish with their bare hands, and can only hold their breath for a few minutes tops, not hours like him
Normal humans also don’t eat the entire fish? Including the bones? He always thought that was the best part though. Likes the crunch.
When he turned 6 his parents finally clued him in on what was up, at a very basic level though. They were what the government and conspiracist theorists named “North Eastern Beach Biters.” (NEBBs for short)
Usually inhabit ocean towns or forests in North Eastern America
Have been known to leave large sea animals half shredded and eaten on beaches (sharks, large fish, whales)
Short tempered, very dangerous
“Biters” comes from their teeth; very sharp, and a lot of them. Use them to shred their prey, or a human that got too close or pissed them off
Long tongues that loll out of their mouths when they’re getting ready to attack
Eyes that either glow or reflect light
This is debated mostly because some pictures only show their eyes “glowling” from the front, while other show them glowing from the side
Enhanced Sight, night vision
Incredibly fast and agile, especially in the water
Taller than your average human, usually ranges from 6-8 feet
Reports of gills on their neck exist as well
Some say they have webbed feet and hands and fingers that extend into claws (theorized that is what they use to shred their bigger prey)
(spoiler it’s still their teeth)
First encounter surviving incidents often come away with severe bite wounds that will become infected quickly, but survivors usually only have one bite.
Sometimes this happens in the water, and it’s a conspiracy whether it’s a shark bite or a Beach Biter bite. Happens enough where they were named after it.
There haven’t been many fatalities attributed to them, but ones that have been often have teeth marks on their bones that forensics aren’t able to identify
Will’s parents explain that while some of it is true (the teeth, the eyes, the skin to an extent, that they and their kind reside in the north east, that they sometimes eat large sea animals) and some of it is false (their eyes both glow and reflect light, it depends on how much time they’ve spent int he ocean recently, their kin actually reach 9 feet but they tend to live solely in the ocean once they’re that tall (only the larger have gills), they are pack/group beings)
But the important lesson from it, other than knowing his own anatomy, is that they aren’t human, they never will be, but they are trying their best to live among/aside them
They don’t explain that all when he’s 6, not all of it. He learns more and more about it over the next few years, how to hide his abnormalities and blend in well enough with the other kids.
They give him the option to either reject human civilization and live as a cryptid his entire life OR continue to live with his family, who are attempting to blend into society
Read more because this is gonna be LONG (which option will Dex choose ooooooo?????) ((Edit: so this is….. like…. over 4k just warning but theres angst and comfort so like, def worth it ;)))
I have a pretty big concern with my urban fantasy world I'm trying to make. I have the idea that mythological creatures such as dragons, fae, basilisks, etc. have the ability to change their shape to appear human and blend in. However, naturally, some of them would likely want (for whatever reason) to appear as poc. But isn't this kind of fantasy blackface? I'm trying hard to include diversity of many types in my writing but as a white person im unsure if this is ok.
Hi Anon, I’m afraid we’re not very qualified to answer this question, not being POC ourselves.
Werew points out:
I see no reason it would be wrong unless they by default look white. But I would think that they would craft their appearance, because having a default doesn’t make sense?
Constable writes says: The single biggest question here: do you have human characters of color? If your only representation of POC are inhuman, I’m sure you can see the implications of that. Having human POC, both in your main cast and in the background, will go a long way toward alleviating those issues. It can also help to search for “how not to write X character” to acquaint yourself with major pitfalls associated with specific identities.
General consensus was to refer you over to
Writingwithcolor, who is currently closed to asks for a summer break, but they’ve got extensive and very useful archives. Specifically read through their tags for fantasy and coding.
Ah ok so im like 17 and i have never dated a girl before and I have a crush on one of my friends (im dying) but its really hard to tell if she's flirting with me or just being friendly (she identifies as bisexual). She's not a very touchy feely person but she's been holding my hand a lot lately and when I try to impress her with silly facts (we're history nerds) it looks like she's interested? But idk? And there any telltale signs of flirting to look out for? Im basically a lost little lesbian
Ah, yes, the pretty much universal lesbian experience of falling for our friends! We’ve all been there and we’re probably gonna keep going there forever…
The dilemma of figuring out whether she’s being friendly or flirting is never really easy to solve, to be honest, and I think we’ve all mistaken one for the other at least once in our lives, so if it by any chance happens to you, don’t feel bad about it. But, from the info you’ve given, it seems you’re both on some good vibes here! The fact that she is reserved with her touching but not so much with you could be a good sign, yes. The same goes for showing interest when you talk to one another, though it should usually shine through as well when you discuss other subjects. Do you two spend a lot of time together (or try to)? I take it that you’re both comfortable with one another’s personal space, given the hand-holding? How does she act towards other people, or rather, towards other friends, other girls?
Maybe you could find some lesbian history facts to talk about, since both of you enjoy history?
There’s a good deal of things one can observe, but to tell you the truth, only your friend can tell you with full certainty whether she likes you back or not. Now, I’m not saying you should rush in and open your heart to her right now, of course! It’s just that there are no guarantees with reading signs (one way or another, mind! Sometimes we don’t even realise we’re sending any).
Ultimately, I can’t give you any fixed or easy answers. Keep a keen eye and keep your heart open. I wish you luck!
ok so i got annoyed about peter anons so ill make an EVEN CLEARER post. also refer to this. things im trying to show when i draw peter are these:
- very light colour, to give the impression hes almost a bit transparent (to show hes hard to see for what he really is)
- slightly too big ears (rat trait)
- very dark eyes (rat trait, also to make him a tiny bit scary looking)
- freckly (rat trait, to make him cute, to allude to ron being the “less brilliant friend”)
things i dont want to show:
- traits that have got nothing to do with his personality other than being traits that are generally considered ugly or boring by society, given to him by a lazy author to show that hes an antagonist (instead of writing him more rounded)