Pink is the Tiniest Diamond!
Crewniverse tricked us into thinking that Pink’s palanquin is a lot bigger than it is - same with Pink, herself. When Blue walks up to her own palanquin, it’s obvious that it’s just the right size for her.
But when she’s next to Pink’s, there are a LOT of optical illusions going on:
- Blue was kneeling or crouching by it at first, making it look bigger.
- When Blue stands up, she still looks shorter because she’s slouching.
- The way the palanquin is leaning makes the roof look higher.
- The flowers obscure the bottom, making it hard to see just how big it is.
- The palanquin is on a hill, making it higher, and thus bigger-looking.
- The legs are extended (the ones on Blue’s were retracted), making it higher.
In the above image, you can already see that Pink’s palanquin only comes to Blue’s shoulders. Let’s take a closer look and find out just how big it is:
Already we can see that the palanquin is a lot smaller than it initially looks. Let’s find out how much smaller Pink really is next to Blue.
So it looks like Pink is probably less than half as tall as Blue. Maybe about halfway up her thigh, give-or-take. Looks like Pink’s palanquin lends credence to:
- The common theory that Pink is the newest Diamond.
- A theory I’ve had that the Diamonds, unlike their Gems, grew up.
If so, this would mean Pink is even newer than I thought! That would explain why Blue (and Eyeball and Holly Blue and even Yellow) seem to act as if Pink was especially precious: She’s just a little kid!
EDIT: (In case anyone sees this.) Nice to see this post getting attention and some good discussion! =D I’ll note that I’m experimenting with how much detail to include in a theory post, and how to best present information. Some stuff has been brought up that I left out on purpose for readability, or because it wouldn’t make a huge difference in the end result. That said:
- It definitely looks like Crewniverse was trying to make the height difference hard to notice, and the height difference is consistant thorughout the scene. To me, the scene screams “We’re leaving subtle hints about things we haven’t revealed, again!”
- Blue isn’t much closer to the camera than the palanquin, so there shouldn’t be too much of a perspective difference.
- The ‘How Are Gems Made’ Minisode states that Gems suck the life out of the ground to skip childhood (I suspect Peridot will grow). Gems are probably designed to do that because the Diamonds wanted them to get to work right away. If the Diamonds don’t have that feature, however, they’d experience childhood.
- I do think dialogue hints at Pink being a child, rather than a runt. For example, Yellow calls Pink’s zoo “silly,” suggesting a childish nature.
- I do think that young Gems and Diamonds would still grow up very, very slowly. Remember that Pink would have to be a MINIMUM of ~1,000 years old by the time she was taken down; probably much, much older, especially if the Gem writing in Off Colors is any indication.
- I suspect that Blue and Yellow are already fully grown. Between that, and the previous bullet point, we wouldn’t see any height difference with Blue between The Answer and Steven’s Dream.
I guess I got some good feedback on how much detail to include, and I’ll try to adjust accordingly for future posts. Thanks!