being multilingual like...
What people think it’s like:
- *speaks multiple languages fluently on command*
- *is very sophisticated*
What it’s actually like:
- constantly speaking to people in the wrong language
- managing to squeeze 3 or 4 languages into one sentence without noticing
- gradually forgetting your first and second language, while not speaking anything fluently anymore. not even your first language is safe
- Grammar? What grammar? Which grammar??!!
- being permanently confused
- can’t even order bread at a Danish bakery after 2 years of language training
- cry and curse yourself for moving somewhere where they don’t speak English or your first language. but mostly cry. and weep