I went to see Les Miserables tonight, and boy was I shocked at the Enjolras and Grantaire interactions.
Enjolras - Jonny Purchase
Grantaire - Andy Conaghan
I’m going to have to list the details because if not it’ll be a mess:
1. Red and Black started off how I expected; Grantaire being sarcastic and teasing with Marius. Enjolras reacted nicely to this and just smiled, which made me realise that the dynamic would be friendly.
2. ‘Grantaire put the bottle down’ was said quite loudly, but he was smiling so i was still content.
3. During the transition to DYHTPS, Grantaire hung towards the back of the group and didn’t participate so Enjolras walked over to him and grabbed his arm, and kind off made join in.
4. Throughout all the barricade scenes, Grantaire was on the side lines watching Enjolras, which I liked.
5. After R’s solo in drink with me, they stood across from each other, stared at each other for a few seconds, and then intensely hugged.
6. When Gav died, Taire was full on crying and Enjolras hugged him again.
7. When Marius is shot during the final battle, both R and Enj are making sure he’s okay, and then they both hug. Enjolras then goes to the top of the barricade and waves the flag, and R climbs up the barricade and they shared a moment before Enj died. Enj falls forward on the barricade, and then R stands in his place and is killed.
Other moments I liked:
- Grantaire and Gavroche had such a cute relationship, with Grantaire protecting him as much as he can
- Eponine and Grantaire interacted, which I’ve never seen before
- Marius punched Parnasse and I nearly died
- Grantaire was actually perfect, I’ve never seen a portrayal as close to how I imagine him in my head
There will be major cast changes in the West End production of “LES MISÉRABLES”at the Queen’s Theatre from 15 June 2015: Phil Daniels as ‘Thénardier’, Jeremy Secomb as ‘Javert’, Rachelle Ann Go as ‘Fantine’, Zoë Doano as ‘Cosette’ and Katy Secombe as ‘Madame Thénardier’.
Peter Lockyer will continue to star as ‘Jean Valjean’, Rob Houchen as ‘Marius’ and Carrie Hope Fletcher as ‘Eponine’. Bradley Jaden, who is currently in the ensemble, will play ‘Enjolras’.
From 15 June the full company will be: Adam Bayjou; Sanne den Besten; Edd Campbell Bird; Oliver Brenin; David Burnip; Phil Daniels; Jordan Lee Davies; Zoë Doano; Tamsin Dowsett; Carrie Hope Fletcher; Rachelle Ann Go; Katy Hanna; Matthew Harvey; Rob Houchen; Bradley Jaden; Matt Jeans; Charlotte Kennedy; Emma Kingston; Peter Lockyer; Jo Loxton; Luke McCall; Ryan O’Gorman; Jo Parsons; Adam Pearce; Michael Riseley; Jeremy Secomb; Katy Secombe; Courney Stapleton; Jessamy Stoddart; Samantha Thomas; Lee Van Geleen; Helen Walsh and Paul Wilkins.
1. watch it and cry
2. get obsessed with the actors
3. choose your favourite of the les amis
and put a flower crown on him
4. cry again because they’re probably
5. spend your life savings on
merchandise and on the show
6. go out on the street and wave a red
bedsheet in the air to feel the firey
passion that enjolras had
7. wait maybe not that last step you might get arrested
wandering around london lusting over pretty theatres, 18/03/15
[ wicked @ apollo victoria theatre // shakespeare in love @ noel coward theatre // a view from the bridge @ wyndhams theatre // billy elliot @ victoria palace theatre // the mousetrap @ st martins theatre // stomp @ ambassadors theatre // les mis @ queens theatre // the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime @ gielgud theatre ]