I want this post to be an introduction to the whole Mother of Pearl AU. I’ve been building the lore about them for a while now and I have a lot to share, so I will do it in parts. Today i’m gonna talk about some general stuff and differences between gems and moms. Let’s finally get this started!!
The Mothers are a race of magical sentient shells (I like to call them Momlluscs from the name ‘molluscs’) that originated on Homeworld, mirroring the Gems being a race of sentient rocks. They can be called an older cousin race to the Gems, as they both come from a natural magical occurrence that all originated in Homeworld’s waters.
Here’s some info on them in bullet points:
- Long, LONG ago, the Mothers had a huge empire on Homeworld. They had advanced magic, rich culture, huge armies, they conquered lesser beings and used them as mounts and workforce, and that includes our Gems. Their culture spawned all of the seas and rivers on HW, but it all eventually fell apart. Nowadays nothing of their proud past remains, aside from echoes visible in gem magic and the gem nature itself.
[Image: bubbling, an example of mom magic that carried over to today.]
- One of the biggest differences between Gems and Moms is the fact that all Mothers are partially organic creatures. Unlike the silica-based Gems, they are (mostly) calcium-and-carbon-based, making them ‘organic’ and ‘inorganic’ at the same time, much like the actual mother-of-pearl and molluscan shells.
- Following this organic-inorganic idea I’ve decided that the mothers’ body that protrudes from their shells is made from magical flesh. It’s more similar to Steven’s body rather than the bodies of Gems which are made from hard light. It contains their organs and bleeds when harmed. When damaged, it retracts to the shell to heal, which is virtually identical to poofing. Most momlluscs have human shaped bodies with broad, long feet, however some classes have much more monstrous forms. Regardless, all of them have a shell (or a bone) & a mantle (a cloak made of skin) somewhere on their bodies as well as extendable membranes for swimming.
[Image: one of the classes of Moms. Shell location depends on the class but mantle can have some variance depending on species.]
- The Gems primarily occupied the land and shores, while the Mothers lived mostly in the oceans, rivers and lakes. Because of their mainly underwater habitat they are very sensitive to light and used to crawl out mostly at night. Even today the Moms that still remain active often wear sunglasses or shield themselves from light as much as possible.
- The Mothers are biologically immortal; they do not die of old age, but can get ill or heavily hurt and die. Damaging the shell won’t kill a Mother. It will be reconstructed slowly over time by her fleshy body. To kill a Mother it’s necessary to shatter her shell and kill the flesh body, although even then her conscious will remain in the shell, much like with shattered gems.
Some of their abilities are similar to the Gems’:
- They can shapeshift and did it fairly often with the bottom part of their body when changing terrain (human legs for dry terrain and various mollusk parts for swimming in water).
- When harmed, their body retracts to the shell to heal. It’s function is the same as poofing.
- They can fuse.
- They have various powers. They often have powerful elemental powers related to water and sand. Other powers include hypnosis, walking on walls, super speed, telepathy and various voice based powers.
…but there are important differences:
- Their shells are always in the same spot, which depends on the species.
- Some species are unable to summon a weapon. If they can, the weapon is always the same for the whole species.
- They can retract their form into their shell at will.
- The Mothers reproduce sexually. They are hermaphrodites. That means they grow and start their life as children.
- They feel hunger and eat. In fact, some of them are cannibals!
- And there’s of course their great unique ability: Pearl making.
- The Mothers can eat pretty much anything, including each other. They don’t need to eat to survive, but they feel hunger if they don’t. Depending on what (or who) they eat, their abilities are affected, as the diet slightly influences the structure of their shell. It also influences the Pearls they produce.
I will go in depth on several topics from this post in future posts. I want to break down this stuff so it’s more digestible, plus it’s easier for me to plan releases this way. There’s a masterpost coming as well which will contain an index to all the mother-related stuff I’m posting!