How do you redecorate without breaking your fragile bank account??
I love this question! Everything on this list is under $30, and most of it can be purchased from the safety of your dorm room couch.
Decorating on a Budget
1. Plants: Plants are my personal favorite decor (apart from Xmas lights). They’re inexpensive and look great in any location. If watering a plant every day doesn’t work for your schedule, get a cactus! I water my cacti twice a week.
2. Xmas Lights: I try to distance myself from people who say that Xmas lights are just “seasonal”. I have three different strands of lights up all year long, one in each room and one on my outdoor balcony. These lights are perfect for parties, romantic evenings, etc.
3. Candles/Incense: Dorm room or apartment landlord permitting, candles and incense really help an apartment feel more homey. They also help stave off the smell of your cat’s litter box, which is always a plus.
4. Posters: Posters aren’t as expensive as you think they are, but poster frames are ridiculously expensive. And you can’t buy the cheap ones, they fall apart instantly- you have to buy the $40 ones. My advice to you, buy posters and hang them up carefully with pushpins or tape.
5. Clocks: Buy a cool clock off Society6 or RedBubble for $25. It’s my belief that the right clock can help brighten up an otherwise dull-looking room. I bought my boyfriend this Bob’s Burgers clock for his birthday last year.
6. Shower: You don’t need to use the low-grade weak shower head that came with your bathroom. You can buy color changing shower heads and spa quality shower heads on Amazon for $25. Go forth! Always keep your old shower head somewhere safe, and put it back on when you’re ready to move out. There are lots of great and truly unique shower curtains out there on the internet, but they’re expensive. You’re better off buying one from Target or Walmart.
7. Night lights: I am the sort of person who always needs to pee at 3am. I have always used night lights in my bathroom and kitchen because they’re so much better than blundering around in the dark. Similar to the Xmas lights, they help create that “mood”. I have these cute little lava lamp night lights.
9. Chalkboard paint: Dorm room or apartment landlord permitting, chalkboard paint can help turn your room into a perpetual canvas. A friend of mine from college did this to his incredibly small room, and it looked so good.
10. Beaded curtain: Beaded curtains help make small spaces appear larger. We have a beaded curtain hanging in our hallway currently, and it’s great. You don’t need a super expensive one that was handmade by the indigenous people of wherever. Just a simple one to put in a doorway or hang on the wall to change your space.
I’ve decided to finally add a miniature furniture & decor line to my etsy, ever since starting on this tiny home journey last year. So this week was focused primarily on plants, and I plan on moving onto furniture and mini pets next week ^_^
You can see my current collection here, and everything is 1:12 inch scale so it can be added to your modern dollhouse, or just displayed on an empty shelf nook like how I do :P
Ok so I know I’m really late but I’ve been busy and just got around to watching the liveshow earlier today. Here’s what I’ve got.
P.S. Most of this is a joke. Well, some of it. A bit of it. It’s a bit of a joke.
~the fact that his mouse ran out of batteries doesn’t explain why he was on his bed. He had his phone propped up against his laptop, so he could have done it just as normal like if he was using his laptop. Yet, he was on his bed?
~WHAT DID DAN DO THAT PHIL WILL PUT ON HIS SIDE CHANNEL AFTER HIS NEXT VID I’M SPECULATING OH SHIT *cough cough, it’s something about the move that he can’t put out until after the move is announced, cough cough*
~who’s on his fucking daddy list i'm
~”WHERE’S YOUR WIRROW PAINTING?” “YOU COULD SAY THAT I’M RELOCATING IT. ONE COULD SAY.”
~110% THEY’RE GONNA TRANSFORM PEOPLE NOW IN THE SIMS I’M CALLING IT
~phil’s coat tho
~dan, can you not mail the denim jacket, like what
~fuck he moved the painting bc it would fall on him damnit my life is ruined… wait but later he said it was the contemplation of his aesthetic hmmmmmmm
~100% wants to talk about his new aesthetic later cause he’s gonna be in a new house by then and he needs the palettes so he knows what color to paint his new room
~”i’ll go to ikea with you?” “okay well we’ll talk about this whenever we…” *trails off*
~PHIL ISN’T DOING A LIVESHOW BC THEY’RE MOVING 110%
~AND AMAZINGPHIL VIDEO THURSDAY HOLY SHIT IT’S GONNA BE ABOUT THEIR NEW HOUSE I FUCKING CALL IT RIGHT NOW
~15th and 17th is the festival in Australia and according to Dan’s schedule that’s literally two weeks unaccounted for what (Hong Kong?) hmmmm…
~”I DON’T WANT TO BE PROBLEMATIC TO FURRIES CAUSE I AM ONE OBVIOUSLY…” DID YOU GUYS JUST LIKE STOP PAYING ATTENTION AT THE END OR
SO HERE’S MY THEORY. You may be asking, “If they’re moving, why didn’t he just tell us?” Well, I think the Thursday amazingphil video is an official announcement? Maybe? No? I don’t know, don’t hold me accountable if I’m wrong. That’s just my thought.
P.S. I sincerely apologize, these last few days have brought my demon back. Help me, please.
I work at a colonial era living history farm and one of our big, long-term projects has been processing the wool we sheared from our sheep back in the spring. We had to wash, card, spin and dye the wool and now we’re finally ready to knit! One of my coworkers made a very cozy hat using some of the different colors we were able to create from dyes like black walnut and acorn.