“Belle is the feminist princess so much better than Cinderella who is a bad role model for girls!”
Oh. Oh really
So she was a bad role model when she:
- Stood up to her abuser twice
- Didn’t whine or moan about only getting until midnight at the ball
- Used the derogatory name her abusers had given her to proudly announce herself to the prince because she wouldn’t let them win
- Remained kind and courageous through the abuse she endured
- Worried more about the man who delivered her the news about her father’s death than herself (”that must have been very difficult for you”)
- Forgave her abuser, because she knew continuing to stay mad would only bring her down.
- Felt sorry for how her stepsisters because of what they had become due to their mother
- Had just had her mother’s dress destroyed and the chance of meeting her only friend taken away from her, but still cared for the beggar woman who asked for some milk
- Didn’t try to hide who she was for the prince
- Told a man of wealth off for hunting after a stag - “just because its what’s done doesn’t mean its what should be done!”
- Cared for all her animals
A female character doesn’t just have to punch things and not wear a corset to be a good role model. I love Belle, but don’t dismiss Cinderella when she’s just as good as a role model as Belle!
(also feel free to add what I have missed!)