the gay subtext that is Winters&Nixon in Band of Brothers part 1/?
PART 1: CURRAHEE - establishing the friendship; flirting
hey, guess what scene is the one to introduce the character focus of the entire series? why it’s Nix, waiting on Dick, who joins up with him without batting an eyelash. These dudes are clearly used to hanging out
and what happens in this scene? Well, it’s Nix asking Dick on a date after the war is over. I will not lie and tell you it’s not important that the first character establishing scene is one of Nix and Winters - their relationship is very much at the center of this series. Im sorry I don’t make the rules
Okay like you can read the scene as a couple of guys being nervous about jumping out of a perfectly functional airplane, I will grant you that, BUT as a counterargument I will poise the way Nix looks at Dick
Like Dick literally hung the moon, and it hurts Nix to look at him
PAIRED WITH the way Dick looks at Nix after “Should have been born earlier Nix.” “What, and miss all this?”
DICK GIVES NIX THE SOFTEST FOND LOOK IN THE WORLD
LIKE DICK KNOWS NIX MEANS THAT IF IT TAKES FIGHTING A WAR FOR THEM TO MEET IT WILL HAVE BEEN WORTH IT
and you know, it’s not, like, super hetero of Dick’s gaze to flicker to Nix’s mouth THREE TIMES while he lights a cigarette. If I could I’d gif it because it’s honestly ridiculous
It’s established right off the bat that Winters and Nixon are very good friends - Nix is the one to introduce Dick to Harry as having “No flaws, no vices and no sense of humor.”
Dick is a little different around Nix than anyone else though - the “can of peaches” scene establishes that Dick does have a sense of humour, and that Nix shares it - presumably, he has an idea about Dick’s flaws and vices as well (((kill me rn)))
Their friendship is easy, if unlikely.
Dick is presented as a very by the books guy, he is stiff and calm, but he relaxes around Nix very obviously - let me give you some examples:
Invasion of private space is commonplace, like when Nix read Dick’s private letter over his shoulder. Dick is totally cool with it, and is very inviting with his posture. But this is just guys being dudes, bros being pals
The train scene, though, is CLEARLY Nix flirting.
“Going my way” sounds a lot like “Come here often” which is indisputably coded as “I AM FLIRTING WITH YOU USING A LAME LINE BUT WE ARE SO COMFORTABLE WITH EACH OTHER IT DOUBLES AS A JOKE
and Dick reciprocating like there’s no tomorrow LIKE LOOK AT HIS FUCKING FACE
LOOK AT THE KNEES TOUCHING
and then Nix tells Dick he’s hiding his booze in his footlocker - what kind of next level trust shit?????? friendship bracelets got nothin on footlockers
In summary: the winters/nixon relationship is cornerstone for both characters AND the character driven narrative of Band of Brothers. Their dynamic has obvious romantic overtones.
Sort of. And damnit, I made that post using a Dodger gif and started singing the song and remembered I had a dumb idea for this AU a while back. So now you all get to hear it. Too bad, lol.
Web gets tossed out for being gay. His credit cards, bank account, everything is gone, and he just has the clothes on his back and a backpack of personal items. He can’t call his best friend, Nix, and beg off help, despite knowing Nix would take him in and his bf, Dick, wouldn’t mind. So, he’ll just have to do what he can to stand on his own two feet.
That doesn’t go so well. About day three he meets Lieb, who finds him asking the sidewalk vendor to just run the card one more time cause did his parents seriously shut off everything? He somehow gets roped into being a distraction while Lieb rips the guy off, but Lieb probably wasn’t counting on Web being able to keep up with him, let alone follow to where his ragtag gang hangs out.
Said crew is a bunch of petty thieves that take care of each other. The place they live is a dump, but it keeps the weather out and they have food. Most of the time. They’re led by a scary looking guy named Speirs. There’s also Guarnere, Toye, and Luz. Lieb doesn’t like it, but Speirs welcomes Web in.
(Yes, I’m basically implying that Web is Oliver, Lieb is Dodger, Speirs is Rita, Luz is Tito, and, well, I’m not really sure Guarnere or Toye fit as Francis and Einstein, but the set-up was close enough, alright?)
Calling all bookdragons! Need
more fire-breathing in your life? Craving a bit of danger? Then look no further—we’ve
gathered a thunder of dragon reads in this epic list! These majestic creatures
may only live on the page, but we can still dream about having one for a pet,
Ember Hill combines girl power
with dragon power, making her an unstoppable force of awesome—whether she’s
facing off against the dragonslaying Order of St. George, or an even more
sinister evil. Epic twists and turns await in this fourth chapter of The Talon Saga—and we’re not just
describing a dragon in flight.
Gardner arrives at Verpax University she’s thrust into a world of
shape-shifting Lupines, Elves, fearsome Icarals and—wait for it—dragons!
Forging unexpected friendships with the very people she’s been taught to hate
and fear, Elloren might even risk breaking the laws of her world to protect everyone’s
favorite wind riders.
This retelling of Pride & Prejudice is not only a
romance, but an epic fantasy, too, with dragons and warriors fighting off
monsters to keep the kingdom safe. Move over, Mr. Darcy, and say hello to your
new book boyfriend, Alastair Daired!
Ooo~ I’m so so happy with my commissions from @iwel-san Her art style is absolutely adorable!!! Not to mention she was able to capture all of their personalities perfectly~ All the little details *v* Spirit’s scythe arm and cheeky grin, Gane’s attitude (I swear this is the only time he’s ever looked freakin’ adorable as hell), Tzal’s sass, Rai’s cuteness and little birdie Nix, and Almos all mysterious with that smirk. I love them all! 💙❤️💚💛💜
You guys should definitely go commission her! She’s so sweet and patient!
* [ Eight sits up in bed , rubbing at his left eye-socket with the palm of his hand. Still sore; Still blind.
It’s starting to sink in that it probably isn’t going to get any better. Certainly not any time soon- and his chest was still slowly recovering from the little incident with Nix, too. He’s in pain all around.
That won’t keep him in bed, though. Of course not. He’s stubborn as all hell;
That’ll never change.
The fragment is, however, still stuck in Apology’s voidspace, not allowed to leave for god knows how long. Hopefully up until he properly heals…
So for now he’s here with nothing to do, and nobody to talk to.
…Hm. Not necessarily true, though. Sans was here. He’d been bothered over and over again about actually speaking to his son. He’d just been too busy to actually consider the notion.
That, and they were almost painfully distant since the entire Cubesy fiasco.
…But he’s sick of sitting in bed, so he drags himself to his feet, shrugging on a spare sweater (it’s cold in here today, and he can’t just wear his coat all the time!) and heads out of the door to go look for the younger skeleton.]
Max was getting close to the end of his shirt, and really, at this point of the nine hour shift, he just wanted to sit down, and chug down a cold beer. But was that an option? No, not yet. For now he had to stay guard and keep an eye out on the club. But what was it he saw over there? No..
Walking over, he grabbed the wallet that had fallen to the floor, and then tapped the shoulder of Nix. “Sorry little man, I think you lost this one.”
Phoenix hated being ignored but seeing Jude tended to outweigh his own frustration. He liked Jude and the more he saw him outside a hotel room or as a client, he felt more comfortable. Phoenix didn’t feel like he loved the guy, the sex was good but not love blooming. It was the comfort, it was always that. He was needy for it and their social circle didn’t run too close together. He was able to be a little pathetic. Nix knocked on the door to Jude’s flat feeling tired and worn down. The escort business wasn’t as cracked up as he thought it was. It was good when he just had to be a show dog. It sucked when he felt like another whore to some nobody. Phoenix face felt gross, sticky with cum, he wiped it off but it still felt like it was there. He had a light limp, taking a dick wasn’t that
much fun when he rather take control.
- it all starts in high school. initially there’s five of them (winters, nixon, liebgott, welsh, and buck) and they’re just close pals who scare the college kids home for the summer and sometimes spend their weekends running small game cons to make a little extra cash for wheels. it’s nix’s idea - he’s always been a business man - to get organized. they gather a couple more kids who look like trouble (buck knows long-suffering and always angry bill guarnere who knows high school dropout toye from around town, winters knows webster from class and knows his brains can’t go to waste, nix knows little lip from chess club, too kind and too smart for his own good) and they’ve got this idea that’s so simple at first - steal a couple cartons of cigarettes a week and sell them for cheap. and then it sort of grows, gaining money and people like malark who’s all up for a cut if they’ve got use for his talents, and then they’re stealing from warehouses and swiping out the knees of the guys threatening them with big, ugly guns and it’s only a matter of time before they get guns of their own
- now guarnere, lieb, johnny, and toye are a force to be feared. they been the muscle and the front lines since the beginning. winters puts any one of these guys in the background of a room he’s working (business stuff, talking other fellas out of territory) and he knows it’s protected. if he sends these guys on a job to collect from the bookies he considers it done, and if he has a problem with cops, lawyers, made men from less friendly organizations, well he considers his boys his 911. and a few years into this mess some ginger kid catches bill’s eye raging on the street over some greaser scratching his car and it’s only a matter of time before there’s even more of these monsters
- muck, penk and malarkey work the distillery bc it’s 1920 and nothing makes a quick buck like booze and no one makes bootlegs quite like the irish. winters sets them up with a couple warehouses near the docks owned by nix’s dad’s company with enough free land and enough lawyers that they don’t have to worry about a thing. there’s all these moments between pretending to work when they don’t have to work - lots of waiting in this job - and it’s a good thing they’re all so relentlessly obnoxious for each other or this line of work would get boring quick. so some of the day they play big, bad criminals but mostly they’re in the back room playing poker (and nothing bad ever happens to any of them and malarkey never gets tired wow)
- lip’s a good leader and he’s a good person, that’s why he ends up knowing the people he needs to know to make it in a world like this. he can read people, knows with one look whether he needs to slip some cash under the table or just play buddy buddy for a while to get what the group wants. he makes good friends with people like luz and perco, he introduces roe to the group when he meets him on his way to school, he accidentally catches the eye of big time dealer sparky speirs and that’s really when the business starts booming, when they’ve suddenly got the backing and ties of a notorious crime lord with too much time and money than he knows what to do with
- buck’s the only one out of the five at the beginning to get out of that bad part of town. he’s still working his way up the chain at the law office calling dickbag politicians sir and brown-nosing his way to a seat at the top. that doesn’t mean for a second he won’t let a few little reports that creep onto his desk slide under a bigger pile of papers. he owes a lot of favors but more than that these clowns are family
- roe’s been patching these guys up since it was just street fights over who sells bootleg cigars on the street corner. he never really wanted to get involved with this sort of stuff but winters is paying his way through school and he can lie to himself all he wants but he likes these guys. and honest to god they like him too, no matter how much they tease and torture they’ve become his brothers, even the new guys who come ready to prove they’re worth their salt. and maybe one of the fresh fellas even catches his eye when he bursts into his place with bill laughing louder than life, helping him limp to the bed with his swollen toes and broken knuckles saying shit like ‘don’t you fucking laugh at me gonorrhea i would have had them running in no time. i didn’t need your help’ and ‘no one call me edward, but christ and my 3rd grade teacher’
- bull’s a hell of an attorney. i mean that guy could talk god into a timeshare in heaven. once the cops had guarnere dead to rights: in the alley, over the corpse, with the goddamn murder weapon still in his hands for fucks sake, and not only did bill walk within three dates, randleman had him painted up like the town hero. even had the mayor make a formal apology for the inconvenience.
- web is their book keeper, and he’s in charge of making sure they’re not spending every cent they make. and this job would be a day in the park if it weren’t for liebgott spending bills like some rich kid at a strip joint. when lieb’s pissed he’ll try to take it out on guarnere’s paycheck bc ‘fuck that greasy italian and his big fucking mouth see if he can afford that tommy he’s got his eyes on now’ only web’s a bit of a tattle-tale when it comes to work but then lieb doesn’t have eyes for italians no more, he’s all about making web’s day more difficult than it needs to be
- luz and perco have work as morticians and for the right price they can take just about any worry off your mind. left fingerprints on the shells? what shells! thinking too hard about the knife you used cutting some fella up, thinking it’s too recognizable? well luz says it wasn’t a knife at all, it was a pair of garden sheers. and no mafia man’s walking around town with a pair of gd garden sheers. (and perco thinks it might be the grossest thing in the world listening to luz imitate the dead, croaking ‘thanks for cleaning me frankie, thanks for washing me up and finding my killer’ ‘i swear to god almighty, luz, you keep this up they won’t find your killer let alone your body’)
@ajcook: This pretty much sums up my weekend. So much JOY and LOVE. Thank you for all the birthday wishes for both Phoenix and myself. I cannot believe my little Nix is 1 years old already!!! 📷 cred @smjc2012
My Twitter feed will take just about any excuse to talk about Cassandra/Krem (I only associate with people who have good shipping opinions), and one night I was hashtag inspired by the krew’s thirst to write–just a little sketch.
“A tried and valiant soldier.”1300 words. It lasts less than two minutes. She backhands him across the face with her practice shield, and he wears the bruises all the way back to the Storm Coast. It’s love at first fight, for Krem.
The fact of the matter is: what little intel they have on the Inquisition isn’t worth shit. They know the Conclave exploded, and that the Right and Left Hands of the Divine have gone rogue up in the mountains with an elf they’re claiming is the Herald of Andraste. Some Ambassador Montilyet (Krem’s been picturing a crusty old Antivan man) has put out a call for ‘companies of free soldiers’ to 'bolster the numbers of the faithful'—"Which means,“ the Bull says, with a snort, "they don’t have enough people for a real army yet, and need to hire some muscle real fast.”
“Good fights for a good cause,” says Krem. He smooths out the broadsheet the Inquisition’s messenger delivered. Hand-written. Good paper, fine ink.
The Bull looks unconvinced. “The sky’s shitting demons left and right, and you want to put us right in the middle of it?”
“Come on, chief,” Krem says, “we probably won’t even see that many demons.”
A woman, or something that had once been a woman. She wore a mask of dull bronze, and the heavy furs of the Northern barbarians. Unnecessary, and uncomfortable, in this weather … unless her skin felt something other than the sun. She wore several rings of bone upon her silk-gloved fingers.