educate me on michael foot
Michael Foot was sort of what would happen if you asked a class of 5-year-olds to paint Roy Jenkins.
Here he is pictured with a small ball of fluff in 1982:
And feeling uncomfortable being stared down by the young Gordon Brown some years previously:
Other important things:
- Daddy Foot was a Liberal MP. The little Feet all variously went on to become Liberal MPs, UN representatives, Governors of British Consulates, Knights of the Realm and Barons.
- Our boy Mikey started out ok in Oxford (he was at Wadham lol why am I not surprised) but then fell tragically in love with Nye Bevan and the Labour Party ruined his life ever after
- Collected too many books and his wife kept having to secretly throw them out
what a relatable guy, also wrote about Jonathan Swift and why Stanley Baldwin was a traitor and why Nye Bevan was a saint
- Kept a little portrait of Nye Bevan on his desk
very relatable what a weirdo
- Spike Milligan thought he was like Jesus
- They elected him leader of the opposition to try and keep everyone happy but a) when are the left ever sodding happy and b) the right are only happy in power and c) he was pretty shit as leader bless him
- Sometimes his driver would come in and join meetings about policy wtf. wtf.
- He wore a donkey jacket to the fucking cenotaph and Margaret Thatcher had to kind of manhandle him into place and brush him down it was bad
- It was all bad tbh the election of 1983 was bad and everything stayed bad for quite a while
- ‘On the day Peter Mandelson arrived at Walworth Road, in October 1985, an employee in the post room tried to feed a colleague rat poison. It was symptomatic of the state of the party: completely demoralised and riven from top to bottom by hatred’ (Philip Gould, The Unfinished Revolution)
- “Nobody who joined the Labour Party whilst I was leader could be accused of being a careerist” ~ Michael Foot refuses to be your anti-Blair idol
- If you compare him to Corbyn I will hit you Corbyn doesn’t deserve to lick his Foots