This is my 10th year of music blogging and I’m being spoiled rotten by how much great music has been released (it’s actually a bit overwhelming). From landmark albums from seasoned artists like Sufjan, Father John Misty and Kendrick to incredible debuts from Natalie Prass, Leon Bridges and Jamie XX, 2015 has it all, and looking at the upcoming release calendar, I doubt it’ll be slowing down any time soon. As usual, I’ve listed my best albums chronologically below and you can listen to my favorite songs in this ongoing Spotify playlist. Enjoy!
Best Albums of 2015 (so far)
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper(January 9, Domino)
Belle & Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Want To Dance(January 19, Matador)
Alabama Shakes “Gimme All Your Love” Beirut “No No No” Belle & Sebastian ”Play For Today” Blur “Ong Ong” Chromatics “In Films” Courtney Barnett “Depreston” Dan Deacon “When I Was Done Dying” Destroyer “Dream Lover” Eskimeaux - Broken Necks Father John Misty “Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)” Hot Chip “Huarache Lights” Jamie xx “Loud Places (ft. Romy)” Kendrick Lamar “These Walls” Leon Bridges “Coming Home” Mas Ysa “Margarita” The Mountain Goats “The Legend of Chavo Guerrero” Miguel “Coffee” Natalie Prass “My Baby Don’t Understand Me” Other Lives “2 Pyramids” Panda Bear ”Crosswords” Purity Ring “Heartsigh” San Fermin “Emily” Shamir “On The Regular” Shura “2 Shy” SOAK “B a noBody” The Staves “Steady” Sufjan Stevens “The Only Thing” Tame Impala “Let It Happen” The Tallest Man on Earth “Sagres” White Reaper “Make Me Wanna Die”
Most Anticipated of 2015 Still To Come
Destroyer - Poison Season Frank Ocean - Boy’s Don’t Cry Chromatics - Dear Tommy Tame Impala - Currents Beirut - No No No Kanye West - Swish CHVRCHES - TBD Beach House - Depression Cherry Disclosure - Caracal White Reaper - White Reaper Does It Again
Happy 4th of July! Celebrate U.S. Independence Day with:
10 American Road Movies Directed by Women
Crossroads dir. Tamra Davis Farah Goes Bang dir. Meena Menon The Guilt Trip dir. Anne Fletcher The Hitch-hiker dir.Ida Lupino Little Miss Sunshine dir. Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris Manny & Lo dir. Lisa Krueger River of Grass dir. Kelly Reichardt The Road Within dir. Gren Wells Wanda dir. Barbara Loden Wanderlust dir. Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini
“Through books, women have been teaching other women for generations. Our
female ancestors had it pretty tough, but they still managed to grace
the pages of books in style, shutting down the patriarchy left, right,
and center. These 33 books showcase some of the best badass women, real
and fictional, of the last few centuries. After all, where else can we
learn but from the best?” -
Away From Her dir. Sarah Polley Bollywood/Hollywood dir. Deepa Mehta Double Happiness dir. Mina Shum Lost and Delirious dir. Léa Pool Manufactured Landscapes dir. Jennifer Baichwal Parsley Days dir. Andrea Dorfman Sabah dir. Ruba Nadda Sarah Prefers to Run dir. Chloé Robichaud Trick or Treaty? dir. Alanis Obomsawin Tu as crié: Let me go dir. Anne Claire Poirier
1. I had scotch for the first time ever last night and it felt like I was swallowing the history of Scotland that I previously I only knew about from my adventures in Scottish literature. It was glorious, a war cry to my soul.
2. I’m more comfortable in my skin then I have ever been in my life. And feeling sensual and strong to yourself is an incomparable feeling.
3. I chipped my front right tooth when I was a kid on the handle of a bicycle I was attempting to jump off a ramp my brother built. I have a veneer on it. I’d never been more proud of my daring in my life.
4. This Saturday I get to spend the day shooting handguns, rifles, shotguns and bows in the company of my mother, then my local pub is celebrating it’s grand reopening. It will be a glorious day.
5. I fidget, in that sort of tactile curious manner. I want to have a sensation or task to focus my fingers on.