5 Things You Need To Know About The Chinese/American Feature ‘Rock Dog’
Director Ash Brannon, animation studio Reel FX, and actors Luke Wilson and Eddie Izzard are all involved in this Chinese animated feature.
via Cartoon Brew:
1. Rock Dog marks the first time a Chinese animated feature has been designed as a cross-cultural project for both Chinese and Western audiences.
2. Rock Dog tells the story of Bodi, a Tibetan Mastiff who becomes obsessed with an old-school rocker (and cat) named Angus, and must prove to his father that being a musician is a worthy career path for a dog.
3. The film is based on the popular Chinese graphic novel Tibetan Rock Dog written and illustrated by Zheng Jun, who was also one of China’s first major rockstars in the mid-1990s.
4. Although Rock Dog originated in China and has Chinese backers, the film has an American director — Ash Brannon — and was animated by an American studio — Reel FX — the studio responsible for The Book of Life and Free Birds (the latter of which Brannon was directing at one time).
5. The film will debut in China on October 1. A U.S. release date and distributor have not been announced at this time, but a significant release of some sort is likely.