I don’t know if it’s just me wearing my McDanno shipper goggles, but IMHO throughout the whole episode everybody felt aware of how these relationships (Steve-Lynn, Danny-Melissa) are totally off and of how it would be best to just… switch up the teams.
I think Steve pointed out one of the biggest issues here when he said “Hide your true self from your girlfriend. I’m sure that’s gonna be great for your relationship” and then Danny involuntarily reinforced Steve’s point by saying “I am supposed to be romantic this weekend with her”. They both feel so unlike their true selves when they are with Lynn and Melissa, like they have to force themselves to play a part. It seems like they have to struggle to find the right words to say, the right thing to do. It’s awkward and uncomfortable to watch, I’m sorry, but that’s the way I feel.
We’ve got to know Steve and Danny through these years and we saw they love each other just the way they are, warts and all, they can really be themselves when they are with each other.
We saw that they never have any problems saying/showing to each other how they feel even if there are people around. True feelings are the discriminating factor here. I mean, if Steve’s presence affected Danny so much he couldn’t even talk, if the way Steve was touching him made him use their safe word, it has to mean something, right? As much as Danny finding the silliest reason to distract himself from the double date, as much as Steve following him because, well, he loses his balance when Danny is not there with him. As much as both of them telling Chin they could get back to work in no time… to work, together. The together part sounds always fine to them. Together with Lynn and Melissa around, not so much. I wonder why…
We saw how natural it is for them to say and do the most romantic things for each other. No effort at all, it all comes from their heart, in the most beautiful, simple, natural way.
- Steve booking three nights at the Kahala hotel for Danny and Grace.
- Danny buying a guitar for Steve so he could play the song he never got to play.
- Steve being there for Danny when Charlie was born and, later, when he found out he was his father, that he was robbed of three years with his son.
- Steve showing up in court when Danny was fighting for Grace’s shared custody. Wearing his dress blues: “It’s for you. I wore it for you”.
- “Maybe you’re not as alone around here as you think, Danno”.
- “I’ll think about you the whole time”.
- “I just want you to be happy, Danny, that’s all“.
- Steve willing to die blown up by a bomb, risking everything to stay with Danny in episode 3x06 (one of the most wonderful things I’ve ever seen in my life of TV viewer).
- Danny literally giving a part of himself to Steve.
- North Korea, Afghanistan, Colombia… They would go to the ends of the earth for each other.
- Steve making Hawaii Danny’s home. Danny giving Steve the family he craved for, being the one constant in his life, that one person who would never betray or leave him, unlike so many others, who always chose someone else or something else over him.
And I could go on and on with the examples.
I think they are so right for each other, they fit together perfectly. I know, they’re two men and it’s not simple, it’s a challenge, it’s risky, but please, at least think about it. They’re so worth a chance.