I don’t know why this popped up in my head, but can we all just imagine Will Solace as a bona fide country boy? Can we imagine Will dragging Nico home for a few weeks in Summer?
- Naomi Solace, alt-country singer, having a fit when she sees how skinny Nico is, and insists on him having second helpings of everything?
- Nico’s first taste of Non-Camp barbecue resulting in him getting about three more servings.
- Will Solace’s childhood home not being in a suburb, but on a rural farm, complete with Horses, a garden full of vegetables, and a two story farmhouse with a wrap around porch. Nico being in absolute awe when he first sees it.
- Nico being scared to death about being introduced as Will’s boyfriend, mainly because he’s just deathly afraid that he’ll be rejected or hurt, but instead he’s given a bear hug by both Naomi and Will’s Grandmother, and given a proper handshake (which gives Nico a sense of his being old as hell) by Will’s maternal grandfather. Even Will’s mortal friends don’t give a crap that they’re gay, which ends Nico’s thoughts on a stereotypical southern community.
- Nico in overalls, which amuses Will to no end. Will in a cowboy hat, which Nico insists he should wear more often.
- Will showing Nico the grove of oak trees that his treehouse was built in. Nico and Will subsequently making out in that treehouse.
- Nico learning to ride Reba, Will’s favorite horse (and also his favorite Singer)
- Skinny-dipping in a swimming hole, which Nico is hesitant to do, but relents. He later drags Will out there in the middle of the night, which results in some hastily made up stories the next day. Nico can’t walk because he was totally just riding Reba all Night. Both know all too well that Nico bruised his tailbone trying to swing from a rope into the hole.
- Campfires out by the old, dilapidated barn, complete with s’mores and a ton of cuddles. Will telling Nico Ghost stories, and Nico pretending to be scared, if only to be in Will’s embrace.
- Nico being afraid to touch the plants at first, as he is sure he doesn’t have a green thumb, to helping Grandma Solace weeding the garden on a daily basis, where the two discuss what life was like in the 30s. Nico doesn’t remember much of the Great Depression, as he was young. But he remembers the war too clearly.
- Grandpa Solace telling stories of his time in the War, including D-Day. When he peels his shirt off to show everyone the scars left by shrapnel, Will is beet red from embarrassment, and Nico is as pale as a ghost.
- Will’s extended family descending on the farm for a few days, which results in hastily memorized names, a ton of photo opportunities, and a hay ride with Will and his cousins. Later on, Will takes the rusted up truck and they go for a joyride, and maybe a late night shake.
- Nico and Will being permitted to share a room, where they cuddle under a homemade quilt. For once, Nico doesn’t have nightmares.
- Nico getting a knitted sweater from Will’s Grandma, which is apparently a ‘Welcome to the Family’ gift.
- Will being overjoyed at the fact that, by the time they leave, Nico’s gained some weight, a healthy glow, and the fact that maybe Nico’s addicted to his Grandmother’s lemonade.
- Nico feeling more at home on a rural farm in Texas than he has nearly anywhere else, and insisting that they go back every chance they get.
- Will happily obliging, on the condition that Nico has to wear the Overalls at least once every time they go.
I dunno why, but Country Boy Will is something I’ve found strangely cute these last few days. Southern Hospitality is a thing, and Nico would be shaken by the fact that they aren’t as vocal about the gay thing as one may realize.