So since tension levels in the Fantastic Beasts fandom are absurdly high right now...
Let’s make and share a list of things we like and hope for in regards to the second movie, okay? I’ll go first:
- Newt’s new look. Yes, that is a new jacket. No, it isn’t blue. Yes, I love it, and so does Tina if the look she gives him is anything to go by!
- Also, did I mention that his new jacket is either a trench or a frockcoat style (I’d have to be able to see the buttons to know for sure, and I can’t find a good picture showing them…)? Did anyone else happen to notice the plaid (or, possibly, tartan) bowtie? How about the polka dots on his new shirt, hmm? These things combine to give him that wonderful sense of whimsy we know and love, almost bordering on dandyism–yet we all have to admit that he looks sharp as hell in his updated duds, especially with the cut of his trousers putting his, ah, goods on full display without apology!
- Tina! Oh, Tina, Tina, Tina: the porcelain skin, the lipstick, the new hair–what’s not to love about her updated look?! Add to that a lovely Auror’s trenchcoat, some fine-looking slacks and a blouse that seems to be on fashion point for the year, and every single Newtina shipper will be left asking themselves: why the hell aren’t you two attached at the face yet?! Get with the program already, guys!
- Credence! He’s back, and The Haircut From Hell is a thing of the past. I’m not really a fan of Credo, not like some people, but even I’m looking forward to seeing how he comes into his own throughout this and (possibly) future movies.
- The Maledictus promises to be an interesting character, though I’m crying foul if her name turns out to be Confutatis…
- Queenie. OMG, QUEENIE. I am equal parts turned on, horrified and dreading what arc her story is going to take, but I have to admit that she looks absolutely fabulous, living up to the “blonde bombshell” description JKR had originally used for her, and I’m extremely in love with both her dress and shoes! Plus, we know there’s a good chance that she goes on to spawn at least one child since Quintin Kowalski is all but confirmed to be descended from her and Jacob.
- Let’s face it: Jacob looks good. Whoever said fat guys don’t have swagger has never met Jacob “Dapper As Fuck” Kowalski, man. I honestly think he’s the best looking of all the men presented here if viewed through a strictly superficial lense. The fact that he seems so tense/worried about that look Queenie shares with Grindelwald only adds to his appeal, as far as I’m concerned.
- Dumbledore is in this movie! There are so many things we don’t know about him, and I’m optimistic that this franchise will fill in at least some of those gaps!
- We can finally, finally settle the issue on the character of Theseus Scamander and how he and his brother compare and contrast to each other. It’ll be interesting to see how much fanon perception differs from the reality.
- The Leta Lestrange mystery will finally be solved, and those of you worried about a Newtina love triangle can probably rejoice: if she’s engaged to Theseus, then I think Newt will put the kibosh on any romantic feeling he has or may have felt, even if only for the sake of his own dignity. Plus, despite her name and family history, she has the potential to be a powerful ally.
- Grindelwald…has a really, really nice pair of lederhosen, and that’s all I have to say about him for now. ;)