Media Maison's Press Release Rundown
Writing a perfect press release takes time – as does distributing it to the top tier media outlets – so if your release isn’t getting responses it’s frustrating. Guess what? It’s not them – it’s you. Press releases frequently find their way into an editor’s “Trash” because you didn’t do your homework. Trust us. We know the truth hurts. That’s why we have tips on how to get your release read.
Press Release 101:
- Is it news? The point of a press release is to highlight breaking news.
- Ask yourself: “Is this newsworthy? Would I read it?”
- Is it a media alert or an advertisement? Press releases resemble spam when they’re written as an advertisement.
- “Who, what, when, where, why, and how” must be clearly introduced.
- Edit. Then edit again. Then ask an extra set of eyes to edit it for you. Then edit again.
- Check your links. An editor will not tolerate broken links.
Hope this helps! XOXO - Hannah