If I give you an apple and an orange and I tell you to choose, how many choices do you really have?
Two? Nope. You have FIVE, minimum.
- You take the apple
- You take the orange
- You take both
- You take nothing
- You take something else
And this works EVERYWHERE.
“Are you with us or with them?”
- I’m with you!
- I’m with them!
- You both have good points!
- You’re all insane!
- I’m going with that other group over there!
“You need to vote Democrat or Republican!”
- I switch depending on the leader and the issues!
- I don’t vote!
- I vote for a third-party!
“Are you Christian or Muslim??”
- I’m Christian
- I’m Muslim
- I think God is one and the same and follow good doctrines of both
- I’m atheist
- I’m Jewish
And it’s often more subtle
Like a salesperson handing you two products and pressuring you to buy one of them, making you forget that
- You don’t have to buy anything if you don’t want to
- You can leave the store and buy something elsewhere
And sometimes it can be as important as
“Are you gay or are you straight?”
- I’m gay
- I’m straight
- I’m both? So Bi?
- I like no one, I’m ace.
- I’m anything else, really, this is a spectrum and I define my own orientation.