Bernie Sanders is currently the longest-serving independent in Congress (16 years as a representative and the past 8 as a senator), with his past election winning 71% of the vote.
Many who like him point to his character:
- He speaks very plainly, does not shy away from answering questions directly and avoids the ultra-careful vague-talk of many other candidates (see this interview as an example.)
- He does not run attack ads
- He refuses to fund his campaign with Super PACs
Others support him for his stance on issues (many follow Bernie because they found him to align with their views closer than any other candidate using isidewith.com - take the quiz and see for yourself):
- He wants to help get money out of politics (by overturning Citizens United, make campaign donations more transparent)
- Work to end our contribution to climate change (with carbon taxes, stopping the keystone XL pipeline, and shifting the country to more solar energy sources)
- Lessen income and wealth inequality (with higher taxes on the wealthy)
- Make a higher education more affordable (see his current attempt at this in congress)
- Free universal access to quality healthcare (move the US to a single-payer system)
- Make it mandatory for employers to offer paid sick and family leave (the US is the only developed country that does not guarantee paid maternity leave)
To keep this brief, I’ll stop here, though there is much more to him than this (I encourage you to look into why the Military Officers Association of America awarded him with a Congressional Leadership Award, or why labor unions have supported his campaign so much.) If you want to learn more, check out his wiki or campaign pages and compare where he gets his campaign financed from with other candidates using opensecrets. Support Sanders for president, 2016.