Before you ask someone who suspects they have a PD why they don’t seek a professional diagnosis let me tell you what I have experienced as someone with a professional BPD diagnosis.
- A therapist refused to treat me because she didn’t want to deal with a “borderline patient”.
- A therapist refused to put my BPD on paper because she was worried about how it might affect my future.
- Upon being informed of my diagnosis a doctor in an inpatient hospital immediately placed me on extra precautions (consequently limiting my freedoms even more) despite me giving literally 0 reasons beyond “I have BPD”
- A friend responded to me with uncalled for pity and said “I don’t envy you” because she was told that BPD is an impossible illness to handle or even survive.
- A friend (who is studying psychology) suddenly went quiet and refused to continue the conversation when I revealed my DX to her. She later stated that she didn’t know what to say because she was taught all people with BPD are bad people. She was taught this in the same classes that most mental health professionals will take in some form before going into the field.
- A friend (who works as a LSW) told me she hated borderline patients and followed that up with a ridiculous amount of ableist slurs.
From psychology teachers
- “BPD is untreatable”
- “Borderline patients are impossible/draining/awful/hopeless/etc.”
A lot of this is also said about other cluster B disorders which was not in any way a fun time for me when I was questioning NPD nor is it great knowing I likely having co-morbid HPD.
This is not to say there are no good professionals but it is to say that there are some very good reasons someone may prefer to self-dx and that’s ok. The mental health system is terrifying and fucked up in a lot of ways and if someone doesn’t want to navigate it to get their DX professionally backed up that’s their choice and it’s not up for debate.
Also if you have or suspect you have a PD this is a reminder that PDs are survivable and they are treatable if you want to seek treatment. You’re not a bad person just for having a PD and I’ll fight anyone that says otherwise (ง'̀-‘́)ง