openlearning.com
Dialectical and Historical Materialism Course | Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute
This course provides an in depth study of the philosophy and science of Marxism-Leninism. Powered by openlearning.com

Dialectical Materialism is the philosophy of Marxism-Leninism. It provides us with a theory of the production of knowledge and a method which enables us to distinguish between science and ideology, a stake which is fundamentally political in the class struggle. Historical materialism is the science of Marxism-Leninism, it is the science of history. Historical materialism and its method, materialist dialectics, furnishes us with adequate knowledge of modes of production, their constitution, function, and the forms of transition by which one mode of production transforms into another. The unity of dialectical and historical materialism constitute the theory of Marxism-Leninism in its totality. The study of dialectical and historical materialism is vital for all communists, as it allows us to understand the hidden mechanisms of the capitalist mode of production, the dynamics of the class struggle, and the actions required of the proletariat and its class allies in order to abolish capitalism and build socialism.

August 21, 1971: Assassination of Comrade George Jackson, revolutionary communist and Black Panther Party prison leader.

GEORGE JACKSON: ‘I met Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Engels & Mao’

George Jackson, who was shot by prison guards on Aug. 21, 1971, inspired a generation of revolutionaries with his defiance and his careful analysis of U.S. imperialism.

Sentenced to one year at the age of 18, Jackson had spent 11 years behind bars, seven of them in solitary, by the time he was murdered. His refusal to be broken by the guards, plus his organizing among the prisoners, had made him a target of the brutal administration in both Soledad and San Quentin prisons.

Jackson began to read the communist classics in prison. He said in his book “Soledad Brother”: “I met Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Engels and Mao … and they redeemed me. For the first four years, I studied
nothing but economics and military ideas.”

He joined the Black Panther Party from his jail cell and wrote about the difference between reform and revolution in his last book, “Blood in My Eye”: “Reshuffle the government personnel and forms, without changing property relations and economic institutions, and you have produced simply another reform stage in the old bourgeois revolution. The power to alter the present imbalances … rests with control over production and distribution of wealth….

"Revolutionary change means the seizure of all that is held by the 1 percent, and the transference of these holdings into the hands of the remaining 99 percent. If the 1 percent are simply displaced by another 1 percent, revolutionary change has not taken place.”

–Deirdre Griswold