I'm sorry about the outcome of the election, Emma. I am sure that many people must feel a sense of betrayal towards a lot of their family/friends/neighbours etc who voted for Trump/third party, and are feeling lost and overwhelmed. I am not American so could you please tell me a bit about why Pence is so dangerous?
Ah, let’s see. Here are some fun facts about our next VP.
- Pence advocated for conversion therapy, a practice that seeks to “change a person’s sexual orientation from gay to straight.” (x)
- In 2015, Pence signed the “Religious Freedom Restoration Act,”
a bill that made it legal for business or religious
institutions to discriminate against LGBTQ+ individuals by asserting their “religious freedom.” (x)
- Pence wants Roe vs. Wade (the Supreme Court decision that protects abortion) to be “sent to the ash heap of history.” (x)
- In Congress, Pence has repeatedly sponsored legislation to give “personhood” rights to fertilized eggs, which would ban all abortions and possibly some forms of contraception. (x)
- In 2007, Pence was the first member of Congress to introduce legislation to defund Planned Parenthood - this set off a trend that continues to this day and has gutted access to contraception, STI screening, and other basic health services, as well as abortion. (x)
- After Pence cut funding for a rural Planned Parenthood, which was the only HIV testing center in Scott County, Indiana, it was forced to close its doors in 2013 and two years later, that county became the epicenter of an HIV outbreak (x/x).
- Pence sponsored other extreme anti-abortion bills while in Congress, including one that would have that would have allowed Catholic hospitals to deny abortion even to pregnant women who would die without it. (x/x)
- Pence signed every bill restricting reproductive health in Indiana that crossed his desk. (x)
- Pence agrees with Trump’s plan to profile immigrants. (x)
- Pence issued a discriminatory order barring Syrian refugee settlements in Indiana, which a judge ruled “clearly discriminates against Syrian refugees based on their national origin.” (x)
- In 2014, Pence suggested that climate change being
man-made isn’t a “resolved issue” in science. He also said in 2009 that
science is “mixed” on the issue of global warming. (x)
- In 2014, Pence overturned an energy efficiency program enacted by his predecessor, despite that fact that the Indiana Public Utility Commission estimated the program would create more than 18,600 jobs. (x)
- While in Congress, Pence voted to bar the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating greenhouse gases and voted in favor of opening the Atlantic to offshore oil drilling. (x)
- Pence has worked to build opposition toward the minimum wage. (x)
- Pence has passed legislation that supports mass incarceration. (x)
- Pence enacted harsh sentences for drug offenses, despite the fact that Indiana legal groups opposed the legislation. (x)
- Pence believes that more gun ownership makes communities safer. (x)
And this isn’t even everything, but it should give you a good idea of why people should be very frightened of Mike Pence. Trump is absolutely despicable, don’t get me wrong, but Pence has a long track record of successfully pushing awful, discriminatory, and regressive policies. He also just holds a lot of terrible views in general, so we definitely wouldn’t want him as our president either.