Dear “grunge” blogs
To make things clear at first, everyone is free to post or reblog anything they want, but there are also some limits to everything you do. Especially when you are taking advantage of somebody’s image to glamorize things that shouldn’t be glamorized.
To all the
What you’re doing is not grunge.
First of all, Grunge is a musical genre, a rock music subgenre. It was a musical revolution that happened in the early 90s, led by pure and amazing artists.
Grunge was never about: Tattoos, peircings, polaroids, pastel, fishnet stockings, blood, nudity, self harm, wanting to die, hating your parents, toilets, flowers, abandoned houses, walls with depressing quotes written on them, cigarettes, aliens and all those strange things you like to post
Second of all, stop using Nirvana/Kurt Cobain as your aesthetic. Just stop it. Why are you glamorizing his depression and his drug use? What do you find amusing in the story of a man who suffered a lot and ended up dying of mental illness? Let him rest in peace! Kurt Cobain had some fucking dignity and he didn’t die to have his pictures posted in some blog just because it looks “cool” and “aesthetic” for some edgy teens, or find Nirvana t-shirts, or even worse, his suicide note, worn by some hipster douchebags. He was a great artist and a wonderful human being and that’s how we should remember him.
By using Nirvana/Kurt Cobain as your aesthetics, you are:
- Making Nirvana seem extremely overrated
- Making Nirvana seem as the only grunge band to ever exist but in reality there are tons of other bands who definately should be recognized like Alice In Chains, Soudgarden, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Melvins, Tad and a whole bunch of 90s grunge bands who were great.
- Making people believe that teens like to “listen” to Nirvana just because it seems cool and not because they are actually a great band.
- Making people believe that Nirvana songs, or grunge songs in general are only about depression and teen angst
- Making Kurt Cobain seem as a bad influence since you are only representing him as a self -loathing junkie who loves to whine about his depressing life and just a talentless fashion icon
- Using Kurt’s image to glamorize drugs and suicide which is disgusting and very disrespectful
So please, stop associating your world with ours. I don’t really care about what you post. If posting the picture of a toilet makes you feel happy and edgy enough, then post the picture of the fucking toilet. But don’t post it under the “grunge” tag, unless you consider the fact that your “grunge icon” Kurt used it, which actually makes sense. Just leave us the REAL grunge fans alone, don’t associate your shit with us, because it’s simply not grunge.
And for anyone who’s reading this, please remember Kurt Cobain for what he truly was. Sure, his addiction and mental illness are a part of him and his image that we can’t deny, but he was also a talented artist, a big music icon and a source of inspiration for several artists. His music may not mean anything for some people, but it saved the lives of other people and changed it for the best. I, as a Nirvana fan, can proudly say that discovering his music was the best thing that happened to me in many ways. And besides, he was a major supporter for women rights and his quotes are still relevant to this day.
Don’t remember him as the person that “grunge” blogs are presenting, because that person was never the real Kurt Cobain.