leather

DIY Leather Belt Cuff Tutorial by Making the World Cuter for Make It & Love It.

Some of these cuffs have snap closures and other just tie. I like that you can also make unisex versions of this DIY leather belt cuff.

For more DIY leather cuffs, see below:

DIY Unisex Leather Snap Cuff from The Red Kitchen here.

DIY Belt to Leather Cuff with Rhinestone Closure from Wobisobi here.

DIY Leather O Ring Bracelet from Sometimes Homemade here.

DIY Two Easy Knockoff Tutorials for the Celine Spring 2012 Leather Ring Cuff from DO/DIY and Sketch 42 here.

DIY Leather Hardware Cuff at Think Crafts! here. This is one of my most repinned Jewelry DIYs on Pinterest.

Twins of Wine and Snow

So it’s not often that a project goes off without any trouble. Its even rarer for nothing to go wrong when making two of the same thing. I either got lucky or I’m getting better at what I do (fingers crossed it’s the latter).

Started off with a stack of folded paper that I’d put aside for a different project that I’d never gotten around to even starting. It was a fairly thick stack so I made the executive decision to split it in half and make 2 sketchbook journals.
The only issue was that it was a different size to other jobs I’d done so I needed to make a new cutting template.

The cutting templates are pretty easy to make. You just mark off the height of the signature onto a piece of MDF

And then mark out where you want your holes. Some times it’s easier to note where the thread goes. Also it’s a very good idea to mark which is the top of the template and which is the outsides of the templates.

I cut the stack of paper in one hit then divided it in two. I didn’t want to have to do more work than I needed to. Oh, there was also an odd number of signatures so I managed to jig things so the outer signatures only had 3 sheets of paper instead of 4. Worked well.

My multi-storey sewing frame is still working brilliantly. I haven’t gotten around to making anything out of prettier timber, but at this point I’m starting to wonder if I even need to go to the effort. The MDF works just fine.
If you’re ever sewing up a bunch of books at a time onto tape I highly recommend knocking up some extra levels so you don’t need re-string your frame for each book.

Scrapbook paper is a godsend for end pages. Sure marbled paper is great and all, but if you can’t make it yourself and you can’t afford to go out and buy it, scrapbook paper comes in a very close second.

Edges got a trim of a few mm to make everything smooth and straight after the end pages got glued on.

The the backs got a slight rounding by hand. Speaking of hands, see the condition of mine? Yeah, my day job isn’t bookbinding. Oh how I wish for nice, clean and soft hands some times.

Cover time! I had a serious creative blank when I tried to decide what I wanted to do for the covers. I knew I didn’t want to leave it just plain and flat (not that there is anything wrong with being plain and flat, some of my best books are plain and flat).
I spent about an hour looking blankly at the cardboard wearing an expression best described as a cross between annoyance and stupefaction.

A simple design won out. I like it.

With great blurriness, I present to you…. Headbands! YAY!!!! 
Okay so I did something different to what I normally do here. I waxed the thread I used just to see how it would look. It stopped the “fluff” that normally hangs around my headbands when I use embroidery floss. I’m not sure if I like it yet or not. I’ll have to give it a few more attempts to see how things go.

False raised bands! YAY! Actually I couldn’t find any of the stuff I normally use for this kind of thing so I improvised. I used shoelaces. Granted it’s not the BEST thing I could possibly use but it worked after a fashion.

Wine and snow! This is the new pig suede I acquired.

The leather formed quite well over the spine with a bit of water to help it. I defined the bands with some tough string on either side of the bands. 

Blah blah, finishing off stuff which happened and I forgot to take photos of… 


Happily everything worked out swell on a technique point of view.
~but~
 I realised after I started covering the snow book that it had a pretty bad scuff scratch on the front. There wasn’t much I could do about it so I just pressed on.
This was my first time using this suede type leather and it does work differently from other leathers that I’ve used. It’s softer and kinda… fluffy feeling? I was using the grain part of the leather, not the suede part obviously, but it still felt odd. It’s not a bad odd, just odd.
Dirty fingers are going to be the bane of my existence with books I can tell. I just can’t get my hands clean after work because the carbon gets engrained in all the cracks in my skin. (no need to suggest things/ products I can use to fix this problem. I’ve tried it already. Seriously.)
I still have a problem with trying to pare really soft and stretchy leather. I have all but given up at this point on the stuff I already have. I just try and get my cuts on the turned in sections inside the covers to be straight. It hides the fact that there is definite step down from leather to cover decently well.

Complaining aside, I’m actually really happy with these. It makes me feel like I’m actually getting good at this hobby.


I think it’s time to catch a rainbow and use its skin to cover a book with.