sorry about the inactivity, I’ve been extremely busy with school and relationships these days.
I can’t imagine that in the future I’ll be as nearly as active as I used to, but I’ll try to stick around at least a bit.
so, last year, I complied a list of all the things I know about Axl Rose. I still have it right now, so I thought i would share it with you guys to see what you think. I couldn’t possibly state every single one of my sources, since I got these facts from so many videos, interiviews, magazines, webistes, etc., but the real reasons I want to post this is to a) teach some new GN’R fans about the amazing lead singer, b) hopefully give you all something interesting to post on your dash and c) maybe receive some constructive feedback in case I’ve mixed a few things up or had an innocent misunderstanding or two.
Anyways, here it is:
Everything I Know About… Axl Rose
Name(s): William Bruce Rose, Jr., William “Bill” Bruce Bailey (Bill Bailey), W. Axl Rose, Axl Rose Birthdate: February 6th, 1962 Age: 54 Nationality: American Talents: Singing, songwriting, piano, guitar, synthesizer, production
Facts: - He was born in Lafayette, Indiana - His parents were 16-year-old Sharon Rose (nee. Lintner) and 20-year-old William Bruce Rose - Axl’s mother often neglected him, choosing her partner over him - His biological father abducted and sexually abused him at age 2 - His stepfather, L. Stephen Bailey, physically and psychologically abused him, and sexually abused Axl’s sister, Amy
- He also has a half-brother named Stuart
- His family was extremely religious—he wasn’t allowed to listen to music (except for old Elvis Presley and gospel records) or watch television, and was told that women were evil - Axl suffered from a lot of nightmares as a kid - Axl watched his mother and stepfather not get along and it instilled long-lasting impressions in him about how to treat women and what was normal in a relationship - His grandmother had issues with men, which he said later affected his masculinity - Axl’s family made it very clear that nobody was to bring up Axl’s biological father - He and rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin were best friends throughout their childhood - Izzy first heard Axl being chased down the school hallway by teachers and they ended up in the same driver’s ed class - Axl was very influenced by Elton John and first became inspired through his song, “Benny and the Jets” and “D’yer Maker” by Led Zeppelin - He took piano lessons and learned all of Elton John’s sheet music (and tended to cheat his way through the songs) - The first record he ever bought was Queen’s “A Night at the Opera” - Axl has stated that Freddie Mercury was a major influence on him and in terms of music, was the greatest teacher he ever had - He sang in the Bailey Trio with his siblings and was on bass vocals - Axl was a jock in high school - He was in jail 20 times when he was innocent for 15 - At age 16, he was kicked out of his house for not cutting his hair - His first concert was Roadmaster, but he barely remembers it, since he was too drunk, getting into fights and being chased by cops - He hitchhiked around America trying to find a place to work on a band (Huntington Beach, San Francisco, Fullerton, Rhode Island, Florida, back to Indiana, and eventually Los Angeles) - He found out about his birthname and biological father at 17 when going through insurance papers and found his mother’s diploma - Around the same time, he landed himself in St. Louis, Missouri, he was raped by an air-conditioning man in his hotel room - The first band he was in was Rapidfire during the early 80s - He was in a relationship with Indiana native, Gina Siler and they allegedly got engaged - After Rapidfire, he was in L.A. Guns with Tracii Guns and Hollywood Rose with Izzy Stradlin - He and the rest of the band were banned from the Troubadour for smashing a beer bottle against the wall - Axl, Izzy and Tracii formed Guns N’ Roses (of their last names) - Axl started writing “November Rain” around this time - He got a tattoo of a girl that he and Izzy used to like - He was once climbing a fence and by accident, got the top of his middle finger sliced off - Izzy and Axl started writing “Don’t Cry” around this time - The famed lineup of Guns N’ Roses was formed in March 1985 - They dominated the L.A. club circuit (the Roxy, the Whiskey A-Go-Go, the Troubadour, the Cathouse) - Axl and Slash were once charged with felony rape and hid from the cops in Vicky Hamilton’s apartment (which was consequently trashed) - Axl met Erin Everly in 1986 and started dating her Guns N’ Roses were signed to Geffen Records in 1986 - Axl had sex with drummer Steve Adler’s girlfriend, Adriana Smith for the production of “Rocket Queen” - In 1987, he overdosed on valiums and landed himself in a coma for two weeks
- Guns N’ Roses released “Appetite for Destruction” on July 21st, 1987 - The music video for “It’s So Easy” was banned from MTV due to the BDSM scenes of Axl and Erin - When they played the music video for “Welcome to the Jungle” on MTV at 1am in New York, there were surplus demands for it to be played more - They toured relentlessly to help the album sales - During the Monsters of Rock Festival in 1988, in Donnington, UK, Axl had to address the audience since two fans were trampled to death - They eventually racked up enough album sales to be certified triple platinum - Axl gained a bad reputation for alleged racism and homophobia, due to the song “One in a Million” on the “GN’R Lies” EP - He met his longtime best friend Sebastian Bach, lead singer of Skid Row, in 1989 when both Skid Row and Guns N’ Roses were opening up for Aerosmith at the LA Forum. Axl found Sebastian in his hotel room and he asked for the lyrics to “Train Kept a-Rollin’” - He had two Maltese dogs named Torque and Geneva - At the 1989 AMAs, Axl challenged Vince Neil of Mötley Crüe to a fight after he went on Izzy for making passes at his wife - He performed “Salt of the Earth" with the Rolling Stones on December 17th, 1989 - On that same day, Axl went on an infamous rant about how some members of Guns N’ Roses would be fired if they didn’t stop “dancing with Mr. Brownstone” - Erin saved him from killing himself via shotgun. She wrestled a gun away from him - Axl and Erin got married on April 27th, 1990, at Cupids’ Inn in Las Vegas and filed for divorce a month later - They eventually got back together and were expecting a child later in the year, but Erin had a miscarriage - Axl was arrested and taken into court in late 1990 after assaulting his neighbour with a broken wine bottle (this incident sparked the inspiration for the chrosu to the song “Right Next Door to Hell” on Use Your Illusion I) - Axl and Erin’s marriage was officially over (annulled) in early 1991 - The song “Estranged” was strongly influenced by their volatile relationship - Axl loved rap music (N.W.A., Ghetto Boyz, Ice-T, Public Enemy) - Axl was highly disliked by Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, who would take any chance at badmouthing him and Guns N’ Roses - On July 2nd, 1991, during a concert in St. Louis, Missouri, Axl had a brawl with a fan who smuggled in a video camera into the venue. He left the stage in fury while the band was playing “Rocket Queen”, but Slash officially called it quits. This resulted in a riot causing injuries and thousands of dollars worth of damage to equipment. (This incident is sometimes referred to as the “Riverport Riot”) - “Use Your Illusion I” and “Use Your Illusion II” were released simultaneously at midnight of September 17th, 1991 and had officially gone gold at 5AM - Axl said that he released “Use Your Illusion” as two separate records because young fans would not have the money to buy both as one $30 set - He started dating model Stephanie Seymour in late 1991 - In an interview in November/December 1991, Axl stated that his father is thought to be dead somewhere because of “a bad deal he made”, since his body was nowhere to be found - Before Izzy left Guns N’ Roses, Axl would call him on the phone crying, begging him to stay - He underwent heavy-duty psychotherapy to uncover memories of abuse during his toddlerhood - Axl’s regression therapy helped him uncover memories all way back to the point of conception (therefore, he was conscious of events that occurred while his mom was still pregnant) - In 1992, Guns N’ Roses and Metallica went on tour, only to end in disaster - The music video for “November Rain” was filmed and released in June 1992 - Axl’s relationship with Erin strongly influenced the short story “Without You” by Axl’s best friend, writer Del James - At the 1992 VMAs, Axl and Kurt Cobain finally met each other, but Kurt, and eventually, the rest of the band, were mocking him the whole time (“Axl! Do you want to be the godfather of our child? (Frances Bean Cobain)”) - Axl hated the fact that Kurt’s wife, Courtney Love, did drugs while she was pregnant - Axl was strongly opposed to child abuse - The only action he ever took against Kurt was burning the Nirvana hat from the “Don’t Cry” music video - He collected crucifixes - He proposed to Stephanie in a very grandiose way but they broke up shortly after - In 1994, he went into court for domestic abuse charges from Gina, Erin and Stephanie - He went on hiatus in the late 90s - In 2002, a new incarnation of Guns N’ Roses resurfaced with a new lineup and tour dates - In 2006, Axl got into a fight with Tommy Hilfiger in a club
- That same year, he and Sebastian Bach also reunited and performed together in New York - He dated a model named Sasha around that time - Video footage exists of Axl fighting off fans at LAX in 2010 - Axl holds Halloween parties. He puts up a Halloween tree and gives gifts to all the kids that go to his place. In evenings, it becomes more adult-oriented - He dressed up as a head a corn for one Halloween party - Axl once said that girl-watching was something he enjoyed. - He has three cats named Dijon, Dexter and Whiskey - His manager, Beta Leibis, is the closest he’s ever had to a mother - Izzy thinks he’s a horrible driver - Throughout the 2000s and part of the 2010s, the members of GN’R badmouthed each other on multiple occasions (Duff is “spineless” and Slash is a “cancer”; on the question of a possible reunion in 2012, Axl said, “Not in this lifetime!”) - Axl became friends with Slash again in 2015 - It was announced in 2016 that Guns N’ Roses would do a reunion tour - Axl broke his foot during the reunion tour
- Axl became the new lead singer of AC/DC after Brain Johnson resigned due to hearing problems)
(There’s a very good chance I will update on this, too)