It’s Kind of a Funny Story (2010) - Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck
5 bullets on this film:
- I think this movie deals with the topic of mental illness very well, without being too heavy, but in a sensitive way. It’s deep and it makes you think a lot, but there are some funny scenes as well. If you ever feel sad, watch this, it’ll make you feel better.
- Zach Galifianakis and Emma Roberts are great, they really got into their roles. I loved how all the characters were well-developed and how each one of them represented different mental illnesses.
- The musical interludes basically made the entire movie.
- The setting is basically the same during the whole movie: a psychiatric hospital. However, the colors and the nice cinematography make everything seem cute and not-boring.
- When I was around 14 I used to get really sad sometimes, so I watched this film and it really helped me. I also read the novel written by Ned Vizzini, which was based on his own life. I recently found out that he commited suicide in 2013 and I am devastated. When you feel sad, please don’t do anything stupid.