Latinx women are breathtaking. Latinx women deserve to be treated like human beings because we are. Latinx women are so capable and strong and intelligent and amazing. Latinx women have come so far and deserve so much more. Latinx women deserve to be happy, healthy, and safe. Latinx women are multitalented and giving and we don’t hear it enough. Latinx women have broken barriers, can break barriers, and will break barriers. Latinx women are so precious. Latinx women are allowed to cry and have feelings and feel sad. Latinx women need to be treated with more respect. Latinx women deserve the world. Latinx women must be respected at all times. Latinx women are hardworking and discredited. Latinx women stand together and call out abuse. Latinx women are humans. Latinx women are deserving and great. Latinx women face so much adversity and don’t deserve the hatred they face. Latinx women are allowed to feel angry without people fetishizing their anger. Latinx women are deserving of life and respect no matter where they were born. Latinx women are not creatures, but humans. Latinx women are not spices, but humans. Latinx women are allowed to speak out against things that are unjust. Latinx women need more representation in the media. Latinx women come in all colors, shapes, sizes, and from all over the world. Latinx women speak any language. Latinx women are introverted or extroverted or ambiverts. Latinxs women are allowed to be shy or outgoing. Latinx women are doctors, lawyers, stay at home mothers, teachers, janitors, chefs, cashiers, hairstylists, dancers, politicians, sex workers, accountants, vets, dentists, volunteers, artists, public speakers, managers, therapists, nannies, models, writers, athletes- everything and all deserving of the utmost respect. Latinx women own their own bodies and are in control of their own lives. Latinx women love. Latinx women are allowed to feel numb. Latinx women are revolutionary. Latinx women are, but not limited to, bisexual, pansexual, lesbian, unsure, trans, asexual- unending. Latinx women are Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Atheistic, Agnostic, Pagan and more. Latinx women do not deserve to be fetishized. Latinx women are humans, not sex objects. Latinx women are allowed to struggle with physical, mental, and developmental illnesses. Latinx women are survivors. Latinx women are warriors. Latinx women are allowed to laugh and cry. Latinx women are allowed to rest. Latinx women are so much more than what is written in this post. Latinx women deserve justice. Latinx women deserve to not be spoken over. Latinx women deserve positivity. Latinx women deserve to not have their issues derailed or ignored. Latinx women are so beautiful.
• Assuming all Latinxs are from the same/said country
• Assuming all Latinxs know Spanish
• Assuming all Latinxs should know Spanish
• Thinking issues Latinxs face are secondary to issues other marginalized groups face.
• Telling us to go back “where we came from”
• Thinking a Latinx is only respectable if they have a “high profile career” such as being a doctor, lawyer, etc
• Thinking all Latinxs look the same- we come in many different colors from all around the world
• Telling us we have to assimilate
• Trying to speak Spanish to us, thinking we all know it
• Thinking we all listen to Spanish speaking artists
• Blending in our cultures together. Latinxs come from many different cultures and all of them are unique and respectable
• Asking us to cook for you / assuming all we eat is Chipotle and Taco Bell shit
• Saying we’re “the best in bed” or “the best cooks” - that is FETISHIZATION. We will not appreciate or tolerate it.
• Calling us “spicy”, “caliente”, “fuego”, “mami” or whatever dumbass word you can think of. That is also fetishization.
• Making jokes about Trump’s dumb fucking wall
• Thinking Black Latinxs are less valid than non Black Latinxs. That’s also anti black racism which is also disgusting.
• Telling us we are not “Latinx enough” because of our skin color / ability to speak Spanish
• Thinking we all dance salsa, bachata, merengue… like seriously?
• Thinking all Latinxs know each other. No, I don’t know “Maria” from your job.
• Thinking only white people can be prejudiced against us
• Eating our food, listening to our music, using our fashion but blatantly disrespecting Latinxs. This one is pretty obvious and very common.
• Prioritizing documented Latinxs over undocumented Latinxs
• Thinking we all are teen parents. That’s ignorant and guess what? We’re not. Even if a Latinx is/was a teen parent, they’re still deserving of the utmost respect.
• Thinking every Latinx is “illegal”
• Thinking Latinxs owe you shit
• Calling us stereotypical names such as “Maria”, “Juan”, “Rosa”, “Diego”, “Jorge”, “Juanita”, “Alejandro”.. etc.. we have any name and our names, whether Spanish or not, are not for you to joke about. Shut the fuck up and go along with Richard Spencer and be a trash bag far away from us.
• Thinking we need to have a last name that is Spanish
• Derailing us when we try to talk about the issues we face. BIG ONE. Shut the hell up and listen to us for fucking once.
• Thinking we’re all criminals.. honest to god…
• Disrespecting Cinco De Mayo, Dia De Los Muertos, or any other Latinx holiday. If it’s not from your culture, either respect it or shut the fuck up.
• Disrespecting our culture.. duh!
• Calling us “Spanish”.. guess what, you dumb fuck? Spanish people are FROM SPAIN. Spanish people are also not Latinx. It’s not that hard. That’s like saying all white people are German or all Asian people are Chinese. That’s so fucking stupid. You are an idiot if you do this.
• “You don’t look Spanish / Latinx”
• Again, telling us the issues we face are secondary / invalid
• Using Latinx slurs.. if this wasn’t obvious..
• Calling us all “chola” or whatever.. you’re also very ignorant if you do this
• Telling us to calm down if we get angry.. we have a right to be angry just like everyone else on this damn planet
• Assuming we listen to a Spanish speaking music artist… like… ???
• Refusing to recognize the racism Latinxs face
• Thinking we should be glad to be fetishized. No fucking way, I will not be glad someone sees me as less than human and equates me basically to a sex toy.
• Thinking we haven’t face any problems.. we do. We do. Oh hell we do. Just because they’re not addressed in the media does not mean we don’t.
• Making jokes about calling immigration on us. It’s funny how I’ve seen Non Latinx POC do this more than white people.
• Thinking all Latinxs come from Spanish speaking countries… no…
• Thinking we’re all maids, janitors, fast food workers, nannies, etc… first of all, those are honorable jobs. Secondly, so fucking what if we were? You’re not better than people with those occupations. Thirdly, we have so many occupations- each and every one of them deserving of respect.
• Thinking we have to chose between our culture and westernized culture. We don’t.
• Saying stupid shit like “hot like Mexico”.. really? Are you serious?
• Only respecting Latinxs that look a certain way
• Making Anti Latinx jokes.. this is obvious
• Thinking you can appropriate our language and culture. There’s Spanish from Spain and then there’s Latinx slang. You cannot use our slang and then disrespect us which you all do tbh.
Other Latinxs feel free to add in because I obviously missed so much.
A new survey from Pew shows that, not only do a sizeable portion of Latinos in the U.S. believe that they have it harder now than they did a year ago, the amount that say it’s getting worse is growing.
According to the survey, 32% of Latinos say their situation in the U.S. has gotten worse in the past year. Only 15% said the same thing in 2013.
Meanwhile, 49% of Latinos say their situation is about the same, down from 58% in 2013. A much smaller portion of Latinos think their situation has gotten better — 16% — down from 25% four years ago. Read more (2/24/17 4:10 PM)
And remember, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of Bureau of Labor Statistics data (July 2016), Latinx women make the least hourly. Taking America’s jobs and America’s paychecks, right? *rollseyes*