Celebrating women revolutionaries, rebels, and fighters of Latin America: El Salvadoran FMLN Rebels; Nicaraguan Sandinistas; Mexican Zapatistas; Chicana Brown Berets on the last day of Women’s history month.
Let Jewish people have “goyim.” Let gays and lesbians have the “heteros/straights.” Let black people complain about “crackers.” Let Latinos have the “gringos.” Let PoC have white people jokes. Let women complain about men.
Let marginalized people express distance from their oppressors. Let the marginalized turn their oppressors into the Other. Let marginalized people exist in a way that inconveniences and irritates their oppressors, because the oppressors have been doing worse for years.
I’m going to rant for a hot second.
We’re either considered too black, too Latina, or too white.
If you’re mixed, you’ll never be considered a part of either culture.
Lighter skinned babies are idolized, but when they grow up, they’re no longer Hispanic enough.
Afro Latinas are too dark for many to consider Hispanic but not often considered a part of the black community.
LBTP+ Latinas are rarely recognized in LGBT+ groups and organizations.
Even light skinned Latinas are ignored by white feminists.
The “chola” style is ridiculed and considered “ghetto”, but fashionable on white girls.
Thick eyebrows on Latina girls are made fun of but on whites it’s yet another fashion statement.
The most famous and incredibly talented Latina artist is only noted for her eyebrows and not her art or story.
Speaking with a heavy accent is ridiculed.
Not speaking Spanish is ridiculed.
Deportation jokes, especially towards Mexicans, are considered ok by society.
Indigenous descent isn’t considered “native” to white standards.
1. Racist AF: the Asian character in both “Pitch Perfect” movies is literally a human joke with no real dialogue, just “weirdo” surreal one-liners. The Latina character in the 2nd movie is the same, and the jokes involve how little her life is worth because she’s Latina. And Banks directed that one!
3. Homophobic: the black character’s lesbianism is literally joked about in the first movie and treated with a “hush hush wink wink” vibe from the other girls throughout both. The “Bellas” all treat it as something embarrassing and it’s only treated as normal the one time in each movie that the character shares an anecdote about herself.
To be clear:
1. I’m not saying that Spielberg shouldn’t make more movies with women leads, far from it!
2. I AM saying that it’s peak white feminism when you read through Spielberg’s Wiki or IMDB filmography, see The Color Purple, and not know that movie STARRED OPRAH WINFREY AND WHOOPI GOLDBERG.
3. I am ALSO saying that “Pitch Perfect 2″ directed by Banks was one of the most offensive movies I’ve watched in years (yeah I know there are worst movies, I don’t seek out shit), especially the “throwaway life / who cares if I die” joke line on the Latina character.
Elizabeth Banks - work on your own shit, hire women of color as writers, and watch The Color Purple for f*cks sake
Because I was taught to stay away from certain styles because they were too “mexican”. With phrases like “the bigger the hoop, the bigger the hole” when I loved wearing big earrings. Being told that red hair against my brown skin looked “ghetto” instead of fierce and bold. Wearing stylish flannels like the pretty pastel haired girls on tumblr and being told I look like a “chola”. Working hard to get rid of my slang because society taught me that it was “unflattering”. That bright red lips were too much. That my natural intense brows are now a makeup “fad”. When in reality all this shit was made up by people that want to put us down for claiming our own identity.
It’s pathetic and fucked up that I had to make an entirely new blog and begin to immerse myself fully in the radfem community before I could even freely talk about abortion as being a women’s issue. Before this I’d have to listen to some condescending dribble about how ~people of all genders~ can get pregnant/need abortions.
Liberal feminism erases women from their own struggles, and we deserve far, far better than that.
Unfortunately there isn’t an increase in missing girls of color (which means this is NORMAL!) And missing black girls are usually classified as runaways which means no Amber Alert! Anyone else seeing an issue here???