It’s like the majority of people on tumblr get their news from a reblogged gif😒
1) the old man (Warren Beatty) didn’t announce a winner. He just stood there looking confused and was asking his co presenter (Faye Dunaway) to double check.
2) Faye didn’t properly read the card and just blurted out LaLa Land.
3) The cards are printed in a way that Warren didn’t know for sure if he had been given the wrong card or Emma Stone was the producer of LaLa Land.
4) There are 2 sets of cards printed in case of anything catastrophic that might happen, just so the real results are preserved and revealed.
5) The LaLa Land producers knew way before the first acceptance speech ended that the wrong winner was announced and instead of politely giving way the stage, they stood there and went through their speeches. Jimmy, Warren, the producers were trying to be polite by not just booting them off but they let them know they didn’t win. It must have been hard for them but they should have given way and let the production do their jobs.
6) There was no reason for Jordan Horowitz (producer of LaLa Land) to snatch that card out of Warren’s hand as he was trying to come up to explain what happened as it was his award to present. He was trying to correct a mistake that wasn’t his but given the fact that he was the presenter, he was the public face of this. I understand he was pissed, but he was still rude.
7) Emma Stone’s “I had my card the whole time” was a bit ignorant. Regardless if at the time she didn’t know there were two sets, she basically was calling Warren Beatty a liar without knowing all the facts.
8) There was no conspiracy to steal Moonlight’s moment. Someone fucked up and fucked up royally. They will probably never work the oscars again, never get another live tv gig and possible not work in the industry anymore.
9) The only thing that may have slightly (and I say slightly because I think the Moonlight people have been overly gracious towards the LaLa Land people) dampened Moonlight’s moment was the fact that you could tell they knew way early on they didn’t win and still stood on stage and gave their speeches until finally production decided to step in and move them off. Only then did Jordan Horowitz attempt to correct things after they refused to give way.
10) Jimmy Kimmel is a dunce. Nobody cares what he thinks about who should keep the award.
This past week has been like Christmas for my petty ass.
•Ace of Diamonds coming for Amber Rose
•Beyoncé canceling Coachella (duh)
•LGBT POC dragging Caitlyn Jenner
•Remy dragging Nicki
•Nicki dragging Trey
•2 Chainz dragging the shift managers at his restaurant.
•Moonlight dragging Lala Land
A lot of people will write long posts justifying why it’s wrong the more popular actors/movies didn’t win, but here’s one for Ruth Negga.
Ruth was born to an Irishwoman and an Ethiopian man, Ruth has been working tirelessly for years in various shows and movies.
Ruth portrayed Mildred Loving, a woman who was arrested for sleeping in bed with her husband. A woman who was arrested after the birth of her first child. A woman who was not allowed to happily be with her husband or family for over ten years because of the color of her skin. When they finally won their case, Mildred lost her husband seven years later to a drunk drive. Ruth wore her ACLU ribbon today partly to represent them.
Ruth’s performance in Loving was heartstopping and everyone I’ve shown the movie to in real life watched with awe as she brought so much emotion and voice out of a woman who hardly spoke. Watch archive footage of Mildred and then watch Ruth’s performance. It’s completely astounding and you can TELL she worked so hard to bring her to life, to tell us the story of this woman who’s been only mentioned briefly in schoolbooks. Just a scene of her, standing in the sun in the countryside, had me in tears.
I can’t quite wrap my head around a white, fictional character in a performance that was underwhelming in comparison to Ruth’s winning. I just can’t. Was she undermined because of race? Perhaps. Was it because she was a new face? I don’t know.
What I do know is that Ruth Negga won that red carpet tonight and she truly kept her “always be posing” rule at maximum performance. Everytime the camera flipped to her (which was quite often) she looked so ethereal. “We may lose the small battles but win the big war.” I feel like we’ll see Ruth Negga on that red carpet again soon. She’s got so many Preacher fans at her back and she’s definitely taking the world by storm. I can’t wait to see what she does next and I hope she has a really nice night and a good night’s sleep.