Reminder for my chronic illness babes --
You probably have a bunch of important stuff to remember. Meds to take, supplies to bring, ingredient lists to check, etc. It can be overwhelming, and it makes me super stressed & anxious especially if I’m traveling or doing something new. Here are some things that I’ve found are helpful in reducing the stress & making it easier to do things!
- Separate what you need to bring into essential and nonessential lists. Sometimes my anxiety just kind of spreads to everything, so it helps me relax if I remember that there are only a couple crucial things, and the rest are only nice to have.
- Come up with a system so you can easily grab the crucial things. I have all the important stuff in a single bag now, so as long as I grab that I know I’m covered. (I have an organized dopp kitt style pouch now with most of my inhalers, epi pens, and meds – it’s so convenient and helpful!). I recommend getting a pill box you can put one day’s worth of meds in so it’s easy to remember & carry even if you have a ton of bottles
- Always bring all the important stuff, even if you don’t think you’ll need it. It’s easier just not to think about it, and you never know if your plans change and you end up needing meds you thought you’d be home for, or an inhaler you didn’t expect to use.
- Even if you’re not organized, designate a place for your bag with all the stuff and keep it there even if you use some of the stuff at home. The less you break the routine of where the bag is & what is in it the less likely you will be to forget something.
- If you need things like hats, sun glasses, orthotics, etc try to keep them near the bag/door if possible too.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you forget something. Fix the problem to the best of your abilities, and be kind to yourself. Managing complex medical problems is way harder than it seems and you’re bound to mess up sometimes. I promise that every single person with chronic illness has been here multiple times!