We complied this image to tumblr as we’ve had a few questions about which mushrooms go nicely with what so every now and then we will post a mushroom recipe!
We thought this was a neat little chart to get you started.
Remember when foraging for mushrooms do not eat them unless you are 100% sure it is edible.
Kitchen Witch Recipe: Protection and Prosperity Potatoes
Josh, I thought Foodie Friday wasn’t for a few days…
You’d be correct! However, just as I share other spells, I’d like to share some kitchen spells here and there! And what better way to start off than with protection and prosperity! Enjoy!
Fondant Potatoes for Protection and Prosperity
Ingredients: -3 large Russet potatoes (prosperity, wealth, health) -3 tbsp butter (prosperity, wealth, health) -2 to 3 tbsp Vegetable oil (protection - many vegetable oils are soy, which is linked to protection) -Rosemary sprigs (protection, wealth, cleansing) -Salt (cleansing, protection) -Pepper (protection) -½ to 1 cup Chicken broth (prosperity, health)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (Fahrenheit). Cut ends off of the potatoes, then slice down the sides to peel and form cylindrical shapes. Cut the cylinders in half and soak in cold water for about 5 minutes to clean off excess starch. Pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Put oil in a non-stick, oven-safe skillet and put over high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the potatoes with presentation ends down, and lower the heat to medium-high. Pan-fry until well browned. Season top-facing ends with salt and pepper.
3. Flip potatoes and season the tops. Use tongs to hold a paper towel and blot the oil out of the skillet. Add butter and rosemary to the skillet.
4. Use tongs to hold a sprig of rosemary and gently brush butter over the potatoes using the sprig. Cook until the butter foams and turns from white to tan.
5. Pour chicken broth into the skillet. and transfer to the oven. Let it cook until potatoes are crisp on the outside, but very tender on the inside, about 30 minutes. If potatoes aren’t tender by 30 minutes, add a quarter cup more broth and cook for 10 more minutes.
6. Transfer to plate or serving platter and spoon rosemary butter from the skillet over the potatoes. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs, let cool for 5 minutes, and serve.
The main appeal to this dish is savory flavors, rustic presentation, and great texture. The aim is a very crispy exterior to the potatoes, with a tender, almost creamy interior. The flavor and aroma of the rosemary-infused butter will add a lovely touch to the chicken broth used to roast the potatoes. Serve either as a main or as an appetizer paired with meat dishes. (I made this as a main, with a side of sauteed asparagus with a thin balsamic glaze.)
Cook with intent! The ingredients certainly have a lot of influence, but cooking a magical meal means adding each ingredient with the appropriate visualization and intent for what you’re aiming for with the spell.
Don’t be afraid to personalize! Add sigils to the non-presentation ends of the potatoes before cooking, draw the sigil with the oil when adding it to the pan, or trace symbols in the air over the dish before or during cooking. Whatever you feel may add to the spell, add!
Pairings always help! If you feel an ingredient needs to be substituted or paired with another, do so! Thyme is traditional with fondant potatoes, but I felt more inclined to use rosemary when casting this spell. Alternatively, one could use both thyme and rosemary for a double whammy! Likewise one could pair the dish with another dish - in the case of protection and health, perhaps it could be paired as a side dish with chicken cacciatore, or served with red wine to promote prosperity and health!
Confidence! One of the greatest lessons I’ve ever learned or needed to teach is that intent is the most important aspect to a spell. If your intention and heart is in the right place, you can’t mess up the spell! The same goes for cooking. Cook with confidence, and avoid second guessing, and you’ll end up with something flavorful and wonderful! This is why cooking and witchcraft go so well with each other! Intent is key for both skills!