Maybe I'm biased or something, but I can't say I'm fond of Flynn's writing. Even now when it's infinitely better than what it used to be, there still seem to be moments where he gives characters slight mean streaks.
I too don’t really think it’s all it’s cracked up to be by his fans.
I mean yeah, it’s general quality has come on leaps and bounds post-reboot but I really don’t think that much of the post-#160 era was as solid as it’s made out to be.
During that era, we still saw…
- House of Cards. ‘Nuff said.
- Rampant Sonally BS that HAD to be inserted into stories without rhyme or reason a lot of the time and which was a big contributor to Sonic’s utter ruination as a character.
- Arbitrary introductions into character backstories that had no prior hinting at whatsoever i.e Espio being a spy all along, Geoffrey collaborating with Naugus etc.
- KING SHADOW.
- Everything about Scourge.
- Blatant Sally favoritism/Shilling.
- Blatant Lara-Su favoritism/Shilling.
- As you said, Sonic having a nasty streak a mile long. Which is very much OoC considering a competently-characterized Sonic…doesn’t really have a mean bone in his entire body.
- Silver being portrayed as an utter idiot.
- Rouge being portrayed as a complete bitch.
- Blaze being portrayed as an utter pushover a lot of the time.
- Charmy being “re-characterized” into being more in-line with his SEGA self…by making him mentally disturbed/Brain damaged via Egg Grape exposure. Getting across the implication that such afflictions turn people into acting like loony children and using it as a means of recharacterization and having other characters be amused by it is incredibly offensive.
….yeah. The above is just a condensed list of the things that were wrong with Flynn’s writing and which make me firmly believe that he wasn’t quite the miracle to the comic his fanboys/girls proclaim him to be.
An improvement compared to Penders and Bollers? Well yeah in general.
An utter revolution and the best writer this franchise has ever seen?