“Like any person living with a physical anomaly that requires correction, Eveline, too, had a physical challenge - she was born into the wrong body. Transgendered people are probably the most misunderstood on this planet. How can any of us know how it feels to be living inside a shell, not of our own making, that we are desperate to break free of? They say ‘don’t judge another person until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.’ Let me tell you, I couldn’t walk a block in Eveline’s stilettos. Don’t get me wrong, I love her dearly, but I don’t think I could handle the hurt and pain she has had to endure - herself, and so many others faced with the same issues.”
My fave images from Kevyn Aucoin’s last two books.
1. This first picture has probably been the most influential image to me in terms of how I apply makeup. I love everything about it: the perfectly blended black eyeshadow on the upper lashes, cool beige on the upper and lower lids, sophisticated ombré lip and pale brows. It’s perfect.
2. This is probably the most important smoky eye of all time. It was Kevyn’s huge departure from the Way Bandy heavy, diffused smoky eye; Kevyn contoured the lid and gradated the shadow perfectly. In 1996-7 everyone and their aunt was taking this picture to their local cosmetics counter and asking for that look.
3. Kevyn was the king of period looks.
4. This is the best matte highlight look ever.
5. That eye shape is everything.
6. Hugely influential to me. I looove doing a bold lip with just tons of black, curled upper lashes and pale shimmer eyeshadow.
7. That cut crease, perfect brow, overlined lip combo is everything.
8. I love those pencil thin brows with the super diffused chocolate crease
9. Again, all matte everything. And those neutrals 😍
Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.