UNDER HYPED: Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Glow Sculpting Duo
Kevyn Aucoin is often referred to as the king of contouring and I have to agree, his sculpting powders are one of the most popular products for contouring to date… His creamy glow duo however, doesn’t get anywhere near as much recognition. Whether you’re a beginner with contouring or a pro, this duo is perfect for contouring & highlighting the face. The contouring shade is a creamy, neutral brown (not too warm, but not overly cool and ashy either) the formula is pigmented upon first application, but blends out to a beautiful, sheer skin-like contouring shade. If you’re someone who’s fair you can finally rejoice about the fact
there’s a contouring product that doesn’t make you look like
you’ve got bright orange streaks down the side of your face. However, I couldn’t see this showing up very well on those with a darker skintone well. As for the highlighter, this stuff is dreamy. It’s a gorgeous luminous and dewy transparent cream with the tiniest amount of finely milded champagne shimmer, if you’re after the perfect Victoria Secret glow, buy this. It would be flattering on every skintone and is one of my all-time favourite highlighters. Despite being easily blendable and sheer creams these last an incredibly long amount of time on the skin, I can apply these in the morning and they still look fresh later in the day. My only gripe with this is that the packaging is poorly designed, not only is it tiny, but you don’t get equal amounts of both product but other than that it’s surprisingly affordable for such a good quality product and reminds me a lot of the Tom Ford Shade & Illuminate Duo. All in all I LOVE this product and I am completely blown away by the quality and how beautiful they look on the skin, I use this almost every-time I do my makeup and it never fails to impress. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.
My fave images from Kevyn Aucoin’s last two books.
1. This first picture has probably been the most influential image to me in terms of how I apply makeup. I love everything about it: the perfectly blended black eyeshadow on the upper lashes, cool beige on the upper and lower lids, sophisticated ombré lip and pale brows. It’s perfect.
2. This is probably the most important smoky eye of all time. It was Kevyn’s huge departure from the Way Bandy heavy, diffused smoky eye; Kevyn contoured the lid and gradated the shadow perfectly. In 1996-7 everyone and their aunt was taking this picture to their local cosmetics counter and asking for that look.
3. Kevyn was the king of period looks.
4. This is the best matte highlight look ever.
5. That eye shape is everything.
6. Hugely influential to me. I looove doing a bold lip with just tons of black, curled upper lashes and pale shimmer eyeshadow.
7. That cut crease, perfect brow, overlined lip combo is everything.
8. I love those pencil thin brows with the super diffused chocolate crease
9. Again, all matte everything. And those neutrals 😍
THE TIP-OFF: KEVYN AUCOIN’S TIMELESS BEAUTY ADVICE
Seven quotes from the legendary makeup artist.
If you know your beauty history, then you know Kevyn Aucoin. The famed makeup artist was not only loved by celebrities, models, and editors for his incredible talent, but he was also kind enough to share his knowledge with the masses through his beauty books—including his now-iconic contouring tutorial. Enter: The Contour Book, The Art of Sculpting + Defining. New from his namesake makeup line, this set gives you the product and the how-to in one kit. In celebration of its launch, we’ve collected some of Aucoin’s best bits of beauty wisdom. KELLEY HOFFMAN
“Light colors highlight and make things come forward. Dark colors shade and make areas recede.”
“The key is for people to notice your eyes, not the eye makeup.”
“The eyebrows are the most important feature of the face…all emotion states are conveyed by the eyebrows.”
“Today I see beauty everywhere I go, in every face I see, in every single soul, and sometimes even in myself.”
“If you want to look your best, be creative, try some new ideas, and have fun doing it.”
“Glamour is not self-conscious; it’s not trying really hard. It’s just expressing your own truth. I think that’s what the essence of glamour really is—expressing your uniqueness.”
“Beauty might bring happiness, but happiness brings beauty.”