at this point, neil hatford has changed about pretty much all of andrew’s rules apart from the jock thing. neil has made andrew:
bring someone home for something other than a group project
eat someone else’s cooking (not after the incident in first year)
have a crush on a jock
andrew’s reputation around the school counts for him being in the gsa (people think he’s there to mooch up on renee), having hospitalized that dude at the freshman mixer (which was actually aaron’s doing), taking unknown medication in the middle of the day (pain meds because he doesn’t wear his hearing aids to school), and being the MVP of the debate team (him and aaron are a roasting in a package deal, okay)
in all the weeks that came after andrew’s realization of his crush, neil has:
improved his grades
been to at least two of the debate team’s events
invited andrew to all of his games (”what makes you think i want to go there” “well it wouldn’t hurt to ask, wouldn’t it? it’s not like we have anything apart from tutoring on fridays”)
stayed over to keep andrew company on more than one weekday (which only renee used to do)
once, neil even barged into a debate meeting to have a silent freak out about his A- on biology while andrew just looked on not-fondly
aaron: that is bull
andrew: shut up, your girlfriend makes you look stupider than this
aaron: you may not know this but you just played yourself
andrew’s pretty much screwed the pooch, especially with how he gives neil Special Treatment, or so aaron calls it.
the foxes try to bond with Kevin by spouting random history facts at him
- Aaron watches lots of documentaries for the sole purpose of distracting Kevin with them because he swears to God if he has to go over exy stats one more time he’s going to snap someone’s racquet (he’s gonna snap Kevin’s racquet)
- Nicky learns just enough to throw general stories Kevin’s way but he makes sure to mess with some of the details because he thinks it’s funny when Kevin goes off on his rants,
- “no, NO, Nicky, no, it’s like this-”
- “sure, Kev, I mean /I/ believe you, but the internet says-”
- “THE INTERNET IS WRONG NICKY, WHAT ARE YOUR SOURCES???”
- Dan and Matt are pretty genuine for the most part, they’ll ask him stuff like “so is there any truth to the King Arthur tales?” but after 3 hours it gets to be a bit much and they’re going to be late for their dinner plans and “yeah ok, wow that’s so interesting, Kevin, oh cool, yeah hey we’re gonna be late. Oh, yeah? Wow I didn’t know that and now I do,, okay bye,,,,,”
- Neil and Allison will tell him a thing and then shut him down before he can comment on it
- “no Kevin, I don’t want to hear about the entire history of France now, i don’t actually care, I just thought that one thing was cool”
- Renee,, the sweetheart she is,,, will actually sit there and listen for hours on end,, she’ll ask him questions to keep him going,, bless her soul,, people ask her why she does it and she just tells them “you can see the way his eyes light up when he’s talking, it’s nice”
- and oh, Andrew. Andrew pulls stories out of his ass that sound just real enough that Kevin is like “no that’s… fake” but there’s the Doubt™. Kevin is seen awake at 3am later that night with an entire pot of coffee and his laptop open to 12 different tabs.
On the heels of what was another successful educational event at the Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center here in Baton Rouge, it literally *KILLS ME* to see this posted by Kevin McCurley of NERD in response to what is now a HUGE threat to Zoos, Aquariums, and individuals like myself and my fiance who have dedicated our personal and professional lives to showing children and adults the wonders of the reptile world through safe educational outlets. THIS is why it is so important to pay close attention to what you say, what you post, and how you portray your animals! From Kevin:
Just think about Neil talking about Exy in his sleep, loud enough that a sleeping Kevin across the room hears him. And sleeping Kevin starts mumbling too, disturbed by the noise but not enough to actually wake. Then slowly he starts talking about Exy too, prompted by Neil’s mumbling. And then they start having a conversation. And Neil is dissing a play Kevin made them try the week before and Kevin is adamantly defending it.
All in sleepy mumbles.
And Andrew just sits up in bed and stares at the two of them. Screw them if they think they are going to talk about Exy all of their waking hours AND all of their sleeping ones.
Neil is woken up by Andrew pressing his lips very very close to Neil’s - not in a kiss, just a hair’s breadth away, his forehead just about touching Neil’s and his nose against the skin of his cheek - and saying “Neil, shut the fuck up.”
Neil mumbles a sleepy “huh, fine” and goes quiet.
Kevin gets woken up by a thrown alarm clock.
“Fuck you, Andrew.”
here’s a list of things that happens while neil is back to the UK for christmas break
nicky finally gets his cousins in on a data plan. he says it’s because neil is out of continent and katelyn is out of state, so he wants andrew and aaron to have constant contact with their significant others. (”i know how long distance feels, guys. trust me, it’s horrible no matter how long or far.”)
they’re not very well-off on money, but nicky insists that it’s really not that big of a favor and definitely is not his christmas gift, shut up, aaron, you’re getting your thing
aaron spends the 23rd with katelyn, though andrew, renee, and nicky are five-wheeling. they spend their entire day at the rink a few hours away from home
renee witnesses the most glorious wipe-out in the entire history of wipe-outs
andrew threatens homicide but renee is too busy laughing
kevin comes over five times in the first week of christmas break and andrew has some Words, backed by a few choice ones from aaron
andrew: kevin, just leave kevin: i’m supposed to check on you, just tell me one thing i can tell him and i will leave aaron, from behind andrew, holding a bowl of soup: you can tell hatford that if he doesn’t stop sending you the fuck over, he can consider your last phone call his goodbye call to you andrew: he said it, not me kevin: christ on a pike