Yehey! I am happy to have these Keri Smith books :) Let’s talk about it one by one.
1. How to be an explorer of the world- “At any given moment, no matter where you are, there are hundreds of things around you that are interesting and worth documenting”. Well, prompts here are basically to pay attention to the world around you, focus on the details, document what you observe and make unanimated objects animated. Because as an explorer, everything is interesting.
2. Imaginary world of (your name)- “What kind of world would you like to inhabit?” The best thing about this book is somehow you will escape the cruel world you are into right now. It contains ideas on how you would like to create your own imaginary world. All the details about your world will be coming from you, so be creative. Let your imaginary world be real with this book.
3. Finish this Book- “Your mission is to become the new author of this work” This book will let you do things that will actually complete the works inside. You will be a detective somehow. And please, you should not tell anyone what this book is keeping (not unless you are instructed to do so)
4. The pocket scavenger- “How many different shaped leaves can you find? How many blue things? A piece of red string? What would you do with them?” This book contains list of things that would involve you in a mini adventure. All you have to do is to be mindful to the things beneath your feet. After finding the treasure that you find on your own adventure, you have to flip the book and use the chance to know what you will do with that treasure you are holding. Again, be creative, it is open for interpretation.
5. Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes- “This book asks you to do the opposite of what you have been taught.” Are you ready to break the rules? Are you ready to make mistakes? Are you ready to overcome being a perfectionist? Well this book belongs to you. As the title suggests, you will be involved in doing tasks that is messy and try not to make something beautiful. This book will tell you that you don’t have to think too much because there is no “wrong”.
6. This is not a book- “If it’s not a book, then what exactly is it? The answer is up to you.” As the title suggests, this one is not a book. This includes prompts that will prove that this is not a book. But rather an incovenience, a friend, a language, an annoyance, a thought garden and so on.
7. Wreck this journal (original)- This version is in black and white. It will let you do things that would actually will wreck the journal.
8. Wreck this journal (now in color)- This version is now in color in celebration of its 10th anniversary. This is beautiful, this is colorful, how could you wreck something that is beautiful? That’s the challenge, how would the colors affect your wrecking experience? And oh, some original prompts are still here, some are altered, some are changed. You have to take a pledge that you will wreck this journal no matter what.
So that’s it. All thanks to the people who gave me some of the books :) Guess I will never be bored again.