Okay but can we talk about representation at the Tonys this year?!
- Openly bisexual host Alan Cumming
- Women won for lighting design of a play and a musical and costume design of a musical
- The Tony for leading actor in a play went to a character with autism and that play won the Tony
- A woman won for best direction and another for scenic design for Curious Incident
- A pair of women won for best book and score of a musical (and a musical with a lesbian protagonist at that)
- An Asian woman won for featured actress in a musical
- Fun Home won best musical and whose characters include multiple queer characters including one played by a child
I’m just really happy okay. REPRESENTATION MATTERS. Also Kelli O'Hara finally won a Tony.
“It’s so curious: one can resist tears and ‘behave’ very well in the hardest hours of grief. But then someone makes you a friendly sign behind a window, or one notices that a flower that was in bud only yesterday has suddenly blossomed, or a letter slips from a drawer… and everything collapses.” -Colette.