Ok my instant film loving people, here we go! First let me apologize for the delay, there was some doubt when I attempted to recreate “the accident” of getting a blue cast on the Fuji FP100c. And I just want to clarify, this was entirely by accident, I had no intention of getting the results I had when it first happened. A happy accident it was.

It’s probably easier to start at the beginning. When WPPD 2012 was approaching I decided to swap out the pinhole plate I made for my pack film pinhole camera, for one with a smaller aperture. I made the new plate and fixed it to the camera body. When I was adjusting and centering it I noticed a light was reflecting off of the silver can I used for the plate. Without a second thought I grabbed a can of flat black spray paint and gave the inside of the camera a light coat. I let the camera air out for maybe 2 hours and I loaded in a pack of FP100 to test the camera, it was the night before WPPD and I wanted to make sure it was useable. It was getting dark, so it ended up being an 8 min exposure. It tested fine. It wasn’t until the first exposure I took the next day, that the alteration had occurred. I was excited and confused at first, then when the following exposures rendered the same blue cast. I started to question what created this most excellent occurrence and retraced my steps. It was the paint fumes. It somehow created a crazy chemical reaction in the film that rendered a blue cast!

To try and recreate the alteration, I used a shoebox as a “hotbox” to simulate the conditions. I then sprayed the box top with the same flat black paint and put the pack of film inside, removed from the foil of course.

I let it sit overnight for about 12 hours, loaded it into the pinhole camera and tested it. The first exposure seemed to have the blue cast, but was underexposed so it was difficult to tell. The second shot was most definitely lacking a cast. Back to the drawing board. Or so I thought. I tabled the project to give myself time to think about it.

This morning I decided to take the camera out and get a couple shots in around the yard. Low and behold, the cast was present! It would seem that the paint fumes had done their job at altering the film. All it needed was some time to “cook” in the fumes to have an affect. I believe it was the difference between the duration of the film “cooking” in the camera with the fumes the first time it happened, versus the “hotbox” method. I think next time I will tape up the “hotbox” to seal it and let it sit for a full 24 hours.

I’ve also noticed that the results are present, but varying in density of the blue cast. Some shots are more teal than blue it seems. It’s not a perfect method, and results can’t be guaranteed, but it’s pretty fun to do. Well there you have it, sorry if it dragged on a bit!