Power Rangers + Disabilities/Neurodivergencies
Ok, I’m not entirely sure if this is canon or not but I’m accepting it as.
- Physically Disabled. Through his right knee. It was mostly fixed after the whole Power Coin/Train Crash thing due to his Power Armor moulding itself inside him and into the bones there to help him move around better, like enough that he can walk around fine, but his knee still trips him up and fails him sometimes, and sometimes he struggles with it in battle.
- Bipolar Depressive Disorder: He goes through periods of hyperactivity followed by periods of hyper-lethargy, he feels like sometimes he’s thinking too much too fast and it can’t fit inside his head, sometimes becomes extremely irritated with one wrong word/sound/movement stimuli, goes for hours and hours while training and never considers himself tired until one of the other Rangers asks him to stop and when he does he finds himself near collapsing, is tired but suffers mild insomnia due to his thoughts constantly clouding his head, suffers despondency when reminded about his past mistakes, often to the point of catatonic, still is determined to never let this hurt the Rangers because he loves them too much. Jason is still the leader who would give anything and everything for the Rangers and who keeps their heads held high with pride and keeps them feeling safe in any situation.
- Autistic. Sense of humor differs from other members of his team, he stays very calm under pressure and intensity except when in situations where his person or belongings are being messed with/threatened, infodumps, touch averse and is especially so if he does not know or trust person with whom is contacting him and or if it is not his choice, happy stims with clapping three times in a row, hyper focuses on one task at a time with an often contrary babbling line of speech to his task, special interest in art and mining. Billy is still the heart and soul of the Power Rangers with no exception, he is still the one the Rangers know would love them no matter what they do or say and he is still the one that everyone loves the most.
- Depression. Suffers from dissociation so intense she sometimes cannot remember what really happened to her last week, constantly feels guilt bearing down on her from all sides, can be irritable when certain topics i.e. school or her old friends or her ex-boyfriends are mentioned, becomes so absorbed with confusion and concern about why she’ can’t focus that sometimes in school she can miss a whole lecture and this is why she never noticed Trini before, has had and even sometimes continues to have suicidal thoughts, suffers from mild insomnia from thinking about past mistakes. She still functions as the group’s baseline, what grounds them in reality, helps them build themselves up and tear their enemies down, is still the fundamental spitting image of teamwork, is still loved dearly by the other Rangers and loves the other Rangers dearly.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Suffers from intrusive thoughts that her parents won’t love her if she comes out to them and so no one else will love her either, wears a beanie to help stop her trichotillomania compulsion, worries constantly about the other Rangers falling into harms way due to outside forces or even sometimes to herself, often leaps without thinking into a fight and has aggressive tendencies towards anyone who might be deemed a threat to herself or the other Rangers, can become stressed by the smallest sign of danger but reacts violently instead of timidly to it, can’t help but constantly feel that nothing she ever does is right and her routines i/e checking locks on her door and windows and counter her belongings incessantly to ensure they are still there is sometimes not even enough to drive away the feeling that she did something wrong and something is missing. Is still the second in command of the Rangers, is still the best combative of the Rangers by far, and is still the most protective of the Rangers especially when it comes to their habits and psychosis induced habits, and to her surprise, that protection is well returned from the other Rangers who would rather die a horrible death than have Trini feel her routines and habits are unnecessary or stupid.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. For the life of him cannot focus on only one thing for any amount of time and must have one or two other things as background stimuli to help with it, follows short and concise and numerous directives very well, has trouble finding a purpose or motivator in doing anything not related to immediate survival, when thinking about his mother’s condition or any other situation he views as hopeless he can become crushingly depressed, concept of time passing is skewed so he has to wear a watch with an alarm at all times to keep track of his day, after extended periods of nonverbal answers and responses to social interactions can have extreme emotional outbursts and this is especially true when he feels his freedom is threatened but finds himself completely over it within a few minutes, leaps without thinking into life-risking situations that make him feel euphoria i.e. driving the Zord before Morphing, growing up he had difficulty making and maintaining close personal relationships with the exception of his mother out of a self-preservation instinct. Zack is still the voice of the team, he keeps them laughing no matter what and he keeps the tension between them all at a minimum, because yes it’s Zack who they might have a problem with but Zack can help them get over the problem in a matter of minutes, whereas if it were two other Rangers fighting the fight might go on for days due to stubbornness and pride. Zack keeps the Rangers on good terms.
- Tommy: (In this imagining Tommy is a Native American girl.)
- Physically Disabled. Once the soccer star of Angel Grove, who got into a hiking/rock climbing/car accident and lost her left leg from the knee down, Tommy Oliver, the cocky badass who’d do stunts that would put Zack Taylor to shame, still finding ways to do them after getting her prosthetic. And then once she becomes a Power Ranger, she doesn’t necessarily need the prosthetic anymore because she’s got a fucking COOL ASS prosthetic made from her Power Armor there now that looks like two green dragons curled together with their heads bowed together meeting at her knee, and because it’s her Power Armor it moves with her perfectly in synch after she gets the hang of it. And just like Jason, she still struggles with it in battles sometimes but it also has the cool ability to do things like TURN INTO A FUCKING SWORD. (Anyone remember the Gazele girl from Kingsman?) Tommy is still the Ranger that keeps them focused, keeps them driven and keeps them working on the task at hand.