Going back to school can be stressful enough with packing, getting books, making new friends, and figuring out your class schedule. Today I offer up helpful tips so that you can keep your mental health on track while moving away to college.
1. Get your new team together. Who do you see now? If that’s a nutritionist, therapist, and psychiatrist, make sure you have all of those people set up in your new city. Call your insurance and get a list or ask your current team for referrals. Also, set up your first appt for a few days before school starts!
2. Talk to your school ahead of time. They are there early setting up and preparing for the coming school year, so call and see what resources they have. Do they have free counseling on campus? What about IEP’s or their equivalent? Make sure that we ask for all of the help and resources we need and get that set up before school actually starts.
3. Keep in touch with your support system! If you always talk to your friend, grandma, sister, cousin, whomever. Make sure you are still making time to call or text with them. That way we still have their support when we need it most.
4. Bring all of your tools! Any distraction technique or coping tool that has helped you in the past, make sure you pack it and bring it with you! That way no matter what’s going on, you have plenty of resources available.
5. Lastly, get your medications set up! Get a full refill before you leave and set up your next one at a pharmacy near school. Maybe even see if they do mail order and set that up. Whatever you have to do to make sure that you can continue taking your medication without any issues. xoxo
Please share this video! You never know who may be moving away and could use these tips!
Here are my other back to school videos: