When Bellamy repeated Kane’s words “you can’t save someone who doesn’t wanna be saved” was he coming to grips with not being able to save Octavia or was he referring to Kane not being able to save him?? I can’t decide ah
So I was thinking of running a bracket-style elimination tournament to discover fandom’s favourite 1988 moment. I thought it could be fun to have some of our favourite moments battle head to head. :)
Before I start it and discover that I accidentally forgot an important moment, I thought I’d check to see if people think I’m missing something. The tournament works best with 32 choices, so if you suggest something new could you also let me know which one below you’d recommend taking away?
1. The World Juniors jersey bet
2. “I love you Jonny, way to step up big!”
3. “No, no. Not until after Tazer does.”
4. Their memories of the Junior Flyers (ESPN interview)
5. Jonny wanted Dale Tallon to draft Kaner
6. Riding a cab to visit their parents before the Olympics (2010)
7. Flirting through the media by way of Phil Kessel (2014 Olympics)
8. 2015 Cup win moments (finding each other over and over on the ice)
9. Jonny manhandling Pat on stage at concerts (post-2015 Cup win)
10. 2010 Cup win intense hug
11. Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews Conversation
12. Signing joint contracts and the press conference (vow renewal ceremony)
13. Dance-off / Kaner Shuffle #1
14. Dance-off / Kaner Shuffle #2
15. Jonny dreaming about Kaner winning the Conn Smythe / Kaner thinking about it when he won
16. The 2010 Cup parade
17. Opening the adjoining door between their hotel rooms
18. Nudging each other behind President Obama
19. 2015 All-Star Game flirting (hair ruffling, partners in crime, Jonny Hustle)
20. 2011 All-Star Game flirting (Would you pick me, making Tazer sweat)
21. Just heard “go Johnny go” on the radio. Wow, miss the UC.
22. Twitter drama: birthday wishes and follow requests
23. “We gotta fill this place up.”
24. Kane and Toews wanting to share the cover of NHL 16
25. Comforting each other post-losses (particularly 2009 and 2012 playoffs, 2014 Olympics)
26. Popsicle-eating contest
27. My Larmer is probably Tazer
28. Kaner said he wanted to play with Jonny during the lockout
29. We have our fun in the room.
30. Jonny letting go of the banner so that Kaner could touch it last
31. Congrats to @88PKane on 100 pts and an unbelievable season! #neversatisfied #stayhot
32. Calder Trophy (walking the red carpet together, the bet, thanking Jonny later)
Guys we need to talk about the weight behind Abby’s words in that trailer, “I won’t let this happen to you.” Because not only is this the man she said was her hope just a few episodes ago but this is coming from the woman who fiercely declared that ‘hope is everything’ (reading between the lines, it’s not hard to come up with a ‘you’re everything’ out of that, almost to the point that it feels painfully intentional)
But let’s just take a moment to remember the last man that Abby was this close to: her husband, committing treason by defying a direct order from the council; deliberately undermining those instructions in order to do what he believed was the right thing; and then that man was sentenced to death and executed and he was executed right in front of her.
So when she tells Marcus that she won’t let this happen to him again that has the full weight of history behind it. It’s not just about not letting this happening to him; it’s about her not going through it again; not standing back and watching one of the most important people in her life be killed before her without doing anything about it.
Her face in the trailer when she is presumably finding out about Marcus’ fate speaks volumes. Can you imagine what’s going through her mind in that instant? She’s falling for someone else after losing the love of her life, the father of her child, her family, her friend, her everything. She’s let herself be strong, she’s let herself open up again, she’s let herself have hope again, she’s let herself find hope in Marcus again after losing it, and almost everything else. And now she stands to lose it all over again.
History is repeating itself for her in the cruellest way possible and when she stands in front of Marcus and tells him that she’s not going to let this happen you can hear her pour every ounce of who she is and what she has into those words.
Frankly, I’m beyond ready to watch Abby Griffin tear down the world and stride through hell itself without batting an eyelid to save for the sake of her hope; Marcus Kane.