Alright, so. I’ve been considering making this post for a while now, but having recently experienced a photoshoot where dedicated Jojo fans were shouting out “AbbaCHio” and “Cake-yoin”, I think the time has come. Especially with the part 5 hype going on right now, it’s as good a time as any.
Disclaimer: I’m an American of Scottish and Puerto Rican descent. I have been studying Japanese for about 5 or 6 years now. I do not speak Italian, however, I have some basic understanding of the phonetic system and I’m very picky about making sure I pronounce things right, so hopefully I can get this right. If I do make any mistakes, please let me know.
First of all, I’d like to point out: You can get a pretty good idea of how to pronounce things if you honestly just listen to the voices in the anime and games. They scream “Jotaro” about 20 times an episode, guys, come on. But in any case, let’s get to it. Also, I’ll make a list of names at the end, so feel free to skip to that.
To start with, let’s talk about Japanese phonetics. Honestly, it’s basically like Spanish. In general, vowels are more or less like this:
“A” as in “Kars”
“E” as in “dead”
“I” as in “machine”
“O” as in “Jojo”
“U” as in “flu”
As for consonants, in most cases they’re more or less the same. If you want to get specific, the J sound is somewhere between our J and a “sh” sound, and the R is somewhere between “r”, “l”, and “d”. But tbh, imo it’s more important that you get the vowels right than anything. You don’t have to have a perfect Japanese R as long as you don’t pronounce “Jotaro” to rhyme with “tarot”.
Now, the other problem I notice with Japanese is that English speakers tend to place the accent on the wrong syllable. Our first instinct, for reasons I’m not quite certain of, is usually to place the emphasis on the second syllable- “Jo-TA-ro”, “Yu-KA-ko”, etc. But that’s incorrect.
In Japanese, if it’s a three-consonant word, the emphasis is pretty much never on the second syllable. It’s usually on the first. So it’s not “Jo-TA-ro”, it’s “JO-taro”.
Now let’s talk about Italian. Vowels are pretty much the same in Italian as they are in Japanese and Spanish. Consonants and certain combinations, however, are different. I’ll try to list the specifics here, but bear with me since as I mentioned, I don’t speak Italian. Somehow I usually know how to pronounce Italian words anyway, but I can’t always articulate the specifics of the entire language… I’ll do my best, but if you want more info, go on YouTube and look for some Italian pronunciation videos.
I also apologize profusely if I did, in fact, mess up any of the names or anything.
“Ch” - hard K as in Kars. This is NOT “ch” as in “cheese”, it’s “ch” as in “orchestra”.
“Ce” or “ci” - This one is “ch” as in “cheese”. Confusing, I know, but just remember the word cello. (Unless you pronounce it “sello” in which case… I… I can’t help you there buddy.)
“I” between a consonant and a vowel - In this case, the “i” usually becomes silent, as in “Ciao”. This isn’t always the case- you do want to pronounce the I in “Abbacchio”- but I’m not sure exactly what the specifics of that are.
“G” - If it’s before an O, A, or U, it’s a hard G as in “great”. If it’s before an I or E, it’s soft G as in “genius”.
“Gn” - Silent G.
“Gli” - Also a silent G.
“Sci” - “She”.
I feel like I’m probably forgetting something, but as I mentioned, you can always look up pronunciation videos online. So with all that said and done, I’m now going to provide a list of some Jojo character names and how to pronounce them.
5. Time: 10:00 AM (I’m working really hard as you can see)
6. Birthday: August 24
7. Favorite bands: the GazettE, L’Arc~en~Ciel, D’espairsRay, Rentrer en Soi, Linkin Park, Queen, The National, Muse, Dir en Grey, BUCK-TICK, Evanescence, MUCC, TRAX, 12012, X Japan
8. Favorite solo artists: Miyavi, Hyde, Atsushi Sakurai, Ellie Goulding, Tori Amos, David Bowie, Christina Aguilera, Sarah McLachlan, Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, BoA, Adam Lambert, ka-yu, Rurutia, Seo Taiji, Gackt, hide
9. Song stuck in my head: Last Heaven by the GazettE seems to be swirling around in there a lot lately
10. Last movie watched: The Wailing
11. Last show watched: Glow
12. When did I create my blog?: in 2010 because The Social Network/Andrew Garfield tbh. I had just left the jrock fandom a year before (CRY)
13. What do I post?: mostly gazette stuff and random movies/tv show stuff
14. Last thing googled: water retention…
15. Do you have other blogs?: nope
16. Do you get asks?: raaaaarely
17. Why did you choose your url?: because Aoi has been ruining my life since roughly 2006.
18. Following: 219 whoa
19. Followers: 821, somehow. I think I’ve just been here too long lol
20. Favorite colors: black, white, grey, blue
21. Average hours of sleep: what’s that. I don’t know, 4-6 ish?
22. Lucky number: don’t have one. although I do only like even numbers. OCD thing.
23. Instruments: I used to play the viola, and tried to learn piano and guitar. emphasis on tried.
24. What am I wearing?: clothes, at least
25. How many blankets do I sleep with?: 1-2, depending on the temps
26. Dream job: Actor
27. Dream trip: Tokyo, Pompeii, Cairo, Ise of Skye, Iceland
28. Favorite food: peanut butter
29. Nationality: North American
30. Favorite song now: like RIGHT now? Probably Come by Namie Amuro
Don’t really know who to tag since I kinda know you guys but eh, why not?