LadyKay, do you know any good tips on how to choose a specialty? I've searched through the internet and it's either quizzes/tests or vague self-assesment. I've used these tools but I still don't know what to choose. :(
I don’t believe in those tests or flow charts.
The biggest thing is to just figure out what it is that makes you happy! I think there are a couple ways to do this.
Answer the following questions as you work in a specialty as a med student.
1) Could I do the worst part of this specialty every day for the rest of my life?
2) Could I go WITHOUT the best part of this specialty every day for the rest of my life if I picked something else?
3) Do I work well with the other people in this specialty? Do I see some characteristics of myself in them?
4) Is this fulfilling? Is it challenging?
5) Am I good at it?
6) If I do this every day for 50 years will I get bored of it?
7) How do I feel at the end of the day? Tired? Proud? Or just dying to leave work?
8) Does this specialty fit into the other things I want in my life? (Family, hobbies, etc)
9) Do I like to go home and read about things I saw in my patients during this specialty, or was I not interested?
10) AM I HAPPY?
I think if you go through and answer each of those questions in every specialty you’ll see what you want to do.
I know for me, I would be incredibly unhappy if I had to go into a specialty where I never got to be in an OR again. I would miss it too much!