I've never understood why people ship harry x ginny. To me, it's always just been a lazy het-ship tacked on at the last minute. They're also just too alike- it feels like Ginny is just a carbon copy of Harry, but then female, and that that's the only reason they're together. And sometimes, it felt like Ginny was just there to be Harry's girlfriend, in that everything about her character was just so she could make a nice match for him. All in all, I've always found it hard to like them together.
- have we read the same books, nonnie? i recommend a reread, but, in the meantime, let’s address why i think you’re wrong
- harry and ginny share a lot of characteristics - both are impulsive, stubborn, witty, courageous, athletic, occasionally reckless; they also come from wildly different backgrounds, have different character arcs - and they battle similar demons, and, at the end of both their personal journeys, yes, stand a warrior. which helps their relationship tremendously. jkr described them as soulmates once, and there’s a reason for that, because they get each other. they know how the other one ticks. may i remind you of ootp, in which harry, as i’m sure you remember, has a tendency to isolate himself from his friends, like he does when he believes voldemort has possessed him? may i remind you it’s ginny, only ginny, who manages to break down the walls he’s built, because she is a) the one person who knows what being possessed felt like and b) not willing to put up with harry’s bullshit? which elegantly leads me to my next point, because that was in ootp, in other words, a long time before harry even started crushing on her?
- what i’m saying is that these two were friends, really good friends, long before harry fell for her. they had other boyfriends and girlfriends, but they hung out, they got along - we learn later that ginny never gave up on him - ”i always hoped” - and yet she consoles him when things with cho start falling apart, gives him advice, tells him to talk to her. the girl was FOURTEEN and hopelessly in love with a boy who did not like her back, and stood by his side anyway, refused to give up on their friendship, refused to abandon him. i mean. maturity level 1000000
- the last bullet point was honestly mostly a ginny weasley appreciation rant but damnit i will never get over the strength and resilience and maturity this FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL DISPLAYED I’M IN FUCKING PAIN
- and for some further evidence for my last two points, take a look at ginny’s reaction when they break up. ginny is not surprised. she is not angry. she is heartbroken, yes, she’s hurting, but she did know this would happen eventually, that harry would leave and risk his neck to hunt voldemort, and she doesn’t try and convince him not to. not because she doesn’t care, but because she knows him too well to try and stop him. she doesn’t tell him to be careful, to stay, to hide. she knows he has to go - not because of the prophecy, but purely because of who harry is. and she gets him. she knows who he is. and harry appreciates that. that’s why they work. that’s why he loves her.
- now on to the last part of your message, which feels mostly based on the movies if i’m gonna be honest with you. ginny goes through a whole personal journey of her own before harry starts considering dating her. the girl harry falls for in hbp has come a spectacularly long way from the girl he rescued from the chamber of secrets. but she doesn’t need harry for that journey. we see her play quidditch, stand up to her brothers, defend her friends, develop a+++ magical skills, join the d.a., fight at the ministry, have boyfriends, hex people who cross her, grow confidence, and all of that and more she does on her own. she didn’t need harry for that. she wasn’t harry’s girlfriend for that.
- last but not least, you are free to dislike them. you don’t have to ship them. i’m not telling you to ship them. you don’t need a justification or reason to not ship someone - i know how tumblr gets sometimes, but “i’m just not into it” is a good enough reason. no need for arguments that have been proven faulty a million times - and no need to put them in a hinny shipper’s inbox.