hey ! im a carnist. and ive been thinking about going vegan or vegetarian for a while. so i followed a bunch of vegan blogs on tumblr. so i finally decided i really want to do this. the things is that I know this is going to be insanely hard for me. i think that being vegetarian would be easier given the fact that i still live with my family and my sister is also a vegetarian.... so what do i do next ?!??!..,,1,1.//??
Hey there! I feel so happy to read this. It’s amazing that you want to take the first step. I guess it will be easier since your sister is also vegetarian so you both can support each other :)
The most important thing for you is knowing and understanding what is a plant based diet and how it works. I started by watching a lot of documentaries, the more I watched the more I wanted to learn. Here are some useful resources that you may want to give a try:
- Have a positive attitude.
- Be clear about why you’re becoming a vegan.
- Don’t be hard on yourself.
- Understand the health benefits.
- Don’t deprive yourself.
- Investigate the science behind nutrition, food and health.
- Ask questions.
- Make time to cook.
- And take a look at the Vegan Starter Kit too! :)
Animal Rights Videos:
- EARTHLINGS *
- BEST SPEECH EVER *
- PHILIP WOLLEN
- MAKE THE CONNECTION
- FOOD INC *
- THE COVE *
- MEET YOUR MEAT *
- ANIMALS AS FOOD
- ECOLOGICAL CRISIS
- COWSPIRACY *
- SPECIESISM *
- FARMAGEDDON *
Health and Food Videos:
- FOOD MATTERS
- A FARMER IN AFRICA
- A PLACE AT THE TABLE
- FAST FOOD
- FORKS OVER KNIVES
- HIDDEN COSTS OF HAMBURGERS
- HOW TO FEED THE WORLD?
- SUPER SIZE ME
BOOKS ON VEGANISM AND ANIMAL ADVOCACY
- Thanking the Monkey by Karen Dawn
- Vegan’s Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus
- Diet For A New America by John Robbins
- Skinny Bitch and Skinny Bastard by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Animal Liberation by Peter Singer
- Dominion by Matthew Scully
- The World Peace Diet by Will Tuttle, PhD
- Animal Camp by Kathy Stevens
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy
- The Vegan Sourcebook by Joanna Stepaniak (*this was the first book I ever read on veganism*)
- Raising Vegetarian Children by Joanne Stepaniak
- Yoga and Vegetarianism by Sharon Gannon
- The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
- A Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living by Beverly Lynn Bennett
- Vegan in 30 Days by Sarah Taylor
- Glow by Carlye Katz
- Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds by Gene Baur
- The Inner World of Farm Animals by Amy Hatkoff
- Making Kind Choices by Ingrid Newkirk
- Ninety-Five edited by No Voices Unheard
- That’s Why We Don’t Eat Animals (a children’s book) by Ruby Roth
VEGAN COOKBOOKS THAT ROCK
- How It All Vegan, by Sarah Kramer (also check out Vegan A Go Go)
- Vegan with a Vengeance, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (also check out Vegan Brunch, Veganomicon, or Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
- Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm
- Spork Fed by Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg
- Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry
- Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
- The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- The Happy Herbivore Cookbook by Lindsay Shay Nixon
- Forks over Knives The Cookbook by Del Sroufe
- The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen
VEGAN HEALTH BOOKS
- The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD & Thomas Campbell, MD
- Prevent and Reserve Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD
- The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
- My Beef With Meat by Rip Esselstyn
- Thrive by Brendan Brazier
- Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, MD
- Unprocessed by Chef AJ
- Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness by Robert Cheeke
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever, RD
* Stands for graphic content.
Also, take a look at the Vegan Starter Kit, it’s quite useful :)