Faux Wonders v Boy Wonders
It has been revealed yesterday (31 August) that Brenton Thwaites was cast for the role of Dick Grayson in the live action television serial: The Titans. Thwaites joins the few that had the privilege of playing the live action role of the Boy Wonder.
This post will not delve into my thoughts on Thwaites for Dick Grayson, because I haven’t seen him in anything. Furthermore, I usually like these casting news settles before I give my opinion or else you get my visceral gut reaction. However, I thought it may be fun to go through the actors that were rumored to play Dick Grayson and the fandom’s reaction to them – good and bad.
N.B.: The reason I chose this particular Nightwing picture (Middle Row, Right) by Steven Lau was because the casting directors of the defunct TNT Titans series used this very picture as reference. So I thought it was apropos to use it here.
Robin Actors (in Chronological Order):
- Douglas Croft (Upper Row, Left): Played Dick Grayson/Robin in the 1943 Batman Serial.
- Johnny Duncan (Upper Row, Left of Center): Played Dick Grayson/Robin in the 1949 Batman Serial.
- Burt Ward (Upper Row, Center): Played Dick Grayson/Robin in the 1966-1968 Batman television series and Batman: The Movie.
- Chris O'Donnell (Upper Row, Right of Center): Played Dick Grayson/Robin in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin films.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Upper Row, Right): Played Robin John Blake in The Dark Knight Rises – not Dick Grayson per say, but he did play a Robin, after a fashion, included on this list for completeness.
- Brenton Thwaites (Middle Row, Left): Currently casted as Dick Grayson in the upcoming Titans television series.
- Adam Driver (Lower Row, Left): Rumored to be Dick Grayson/Nightwing for Batman v Superman, generally negative reaction to this news, was later confirmed to be Kylo Ren for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Scott Eastwood (Lower Row, Left of Center): Rumored to be Dick Grayson/Nightwing/Agent 37 for Suicide Squad, generally hopeful, albeit a cautious one to this news, but instead played Lieutenant GQ Edwards.
- Steven R. McQueen (Lower Row, Center): Rumored to play Dick Grayson/Nightwing for The Arrow television series many times, over many seasons, but nothing came of it.
- Nick Theurer (Lower Row, Right of Center): Rumored to play Dick Grayson in the now defunct TNT Titans series, but the series was dropped as quickly as it was picked-up – never got to the casting stage.
- Steven Yeun (Lower Row, Right): Rumored to be Dick Grayson/Nightwing in the Batman standalone film, generally liked by fans. Nothing became of these rumors thus far.