10 Home Alone 2 Facts That Will (Hopefully) Give You Tim Curry’s Evil Grin Right in Front of Your Family
1. Director Chris Columbus said filming the sequel was a lot more difficult to shoot than the first film, especially the airport scenes, because Macaulay Culkin’s new-found celebrity required extra protection from fans and paparazzi.
2. The Plaza’s real phone number was used in the film, and reservations went through the roof after the movie’s release. The hotel later offered Home Alone 2 packages to guests. For $1,100 a night, families could stay in Suite 411, aka the “Kevin Suite.”
3. Joe Pesci said kids would give him their addresses because they wanted him to rob their houses.
4. After one scene, Macaulay Culkin asked Joe Pesci why he never smiled. Pesci told him to shut up. At the time, Pesci said, “He’s pampered a lot by a lot of people, but not me. And I think he likes that.”
5. Daniel Stern (Marv) said John Hughes’ Home Alone scripts described each moment in great detail, and that reading them made him laugh out loud because it was like watching the movie.
6. All of the children from the Duncan’s Toy Chest scene in Home Alone 2 were told to take their favorite toy home as part of their salary…
…and Macaulay Culkin was allowed to keep the Talkboy, even though it didn’t actually work.
7. Several of the cameras froze during production of the film because it was so cold.
8. Stunt coordinator Freddie Hice said working on the movie was like “going to a party every day,“ and that it had "some of the hardest action-adventure sequences I ever worked on.”
9. Catherine O’Hara was worried her character wasn’t trying hard enough to find Kevin, so scenes were added to show her concern.
10. Kevin’s room service bill indicates that he ordered two chocolate cakes, six chocolate mousses with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream topped with M&M’s, chocolate sprinkles, cherries, nuts, marshmallows, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, whipped cream, and bananas, six custard flans, a pastry cart, eight strawberry tarts, and 36 chocolate-covered strawberries.