Saskatoon police review finds no breaches in Don Dunphy death: RNC chief
Chief Bill Janes says the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has been advised by the Saskatoon Police Service there were no breaches of policy found in Don Dunphy’s shooting death.
In a statement delivered Wednesday, Janes said that while he hasn't seen the report conducted by the Saskatoon police yet, he’s been verbally briefed on the matter.
He said the RNC has seen no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Const. Joe Smyth and the organization has confidence in the investigation and review conducted.
Smyth shot and killed Dunphy in his home on Easter Sunday 2015.
Few details released
A review of the RCMP’s investigation into Dunphy’s death by the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) also concluded there were no grounds to lay charges in the incident.
The ASIRT and Saskatoon Police Service reviews have not been released to the public, and Justice Minister Andrew Parsons and Dunphy’s family have both expressed frustration about the lack of precise details released.
Last week, Parsons told CBC News he would like to see that information become available through a public inquiry.
On Wednesday, Janes said the RNC will help that inquiry "in any way possible.“
"Any loss of life in these types of circumstances is a tragedy,” Janes wrote in the release.
“We recognize that these incidents are traumatic for the family of Mr. Dunphy as well as the police officers involved."