Today I decided to do some light research on Mary Shelley's family, as I've seen you talk about her chaotic life at a couple of points, and OH MY GOSH HER LIFE WAS CRAZY. Illegitimate children all over the place, mean step-parents, elopement, constant financial woes, suicide, a growing family feud... THIS IS LIKE LIFE WITH THE KARDASHIANS TIMES TEN!!!
Oh my dude, you have no idea!!! Do you know how much I would give to see an Office-style reality show about Mary Shelley’s life??? Episodes could include moments like:
- Mary getting stuff published before she hits puberty (like a boss)
- The family hosting AARON BURR for dinner (because that did happen)
- Mary writing angrily in journal about her father remarrying. Godwin and Mary Jane Clairmont fighting in the background. “Anyone after my Mother: Feminist Icon Mary Wollestoncraft is settling.”
- Illegitimate daughter of Mary Wollestoncraft Fanny Imlay staring into camera like she’s in The Office.
- Mary and Percy making out over Mary’s dead mom’s grave.
- Mary not being 100% sure if Percy is more in love with her or her dad (literally, Percy wrote Godwin fan mail).
- Percy running around, threatening suicide if Mary doesn’t elope with him.
- Elopement commences, only for Percy to bring along Mary’s nemesis stepsister Claire Clairmont because…why not.
- Claire Clairmont never stops trying to have Byron’s babies. Literally offers to sleep with him in exchange for him reading over her “manuscript”. (An offer which he accepts, of corpse)
- Byron and Mary boating expeditions.
- John Polidori and Byron fighting over Vampire fan fiction.
- Percy showing up naked in Mary’s sitting room while she has guests over.
- Percy low-key setting Mary up with his college bud. “Yeah, he sleeps with all my ex girlfriends.” (Mary glares at camera)