So, I got an ask from @josiesimblr, and I just decided to do a tutorial-ish post, or whatever you wanna call this, in case anyone is having the same issue, or just wants to know how to use the hyperlink tool on tumblr for your sim stories. It’s really simple!
1. First, you will want to know where the link option is when you go to make a post. It is the little infinity looking symbol highlighted below. All you need to do to use it, is highlight the text or phrase of text that you want to make into a link. In this case we are just going to highlight the word “Beginning”.
2. Secondly, you will need to get your link! To do that, just find the post that you need via your dash (in our tutorial example, the beginning post, or first post of your story). To get the url, just go to the top right corner of your post and hover, you will get a little dog-ear and if you click it, it will open a new page in a new tab on your profile. That will give you the url for that particular post.
3. Copy the url from your newly opened post page.
4. Then paste the url into the hyperlink box on your new post.
5. So now you have made a link! Just repeat this same process for “Next” and “Previous”, finding the corresponding posts you need to make your links work chronologically. When people use your links, they should now be able to move fluidly through your story, from episode to episode, in the order you would like them to be viewed.
Formatting: I format mine as follows:
Next | Previous | Beginning
I use the strike-through font on “Next” when I make a new story post, to indicate that this is the most current addition to the story. Then, when I make a new post, I go back to the previous and update “Next” to reflect the newest episode. You can format yours however you’d like! I just do little slashes in between because I think it looks neater xD (I am not sure how to make this slash on an American keyboard, so if you’d like those, just google which key combo to make it on the keyboard of your native language :D).
I hope this is helpful? I’ve never made a tutorial before in my life LOL. I hope the pictures are useful xD if you have any more questions just message me, I’ll be happy to help if I sucked at explaining!
Do you have any tips for writers who want to write sim stories but don't know how to get them posted in order?
Hi Nonny! I’ll be honest, I wasn’t 100% sure what this question was asking, but I don’t like to give advice that isn’t at least somewhat well-thought out. So here are my tips for starting out and how to format/order your posts (or something like that.)
Jade’s Super Awesome Tips For Getting Your Simblr Story/Legacy Off the Ground i.e. Potentially Helpful Formatting Tips For New Simblr Writers
First of all: If you want to do a sims story, DO IT. They’re great creative outlets, and someone will want to read it! And remember, it is your blog, so do whatever you want, and don’t feel pressured to have to make things a certain way. But, if you want to be organized, these are some guidelines:
1.Identify your posts in some way. Doesn’t matter how. Some simblr writers use episode, some use chapters, some use a mixture of both (i.e. Chapters for longer portions, like an entire arc, and episodes for each individual scene. Example: Chapter 1: Episode 1, Chapter 1: Episode 2… etc.). This is helpful in letting regular readers know if they’ve missed a post, and follow along linearly. It’s just helpful all around.
2. Linkage. My dudes, this is so important, which is why I made a previous post about it. A lot of simblr writers are already doing previous/next links on their posts, and that’s GREAT. Everyone should definitely be doing this. Personally, I really think the movement should expand to include “beginning” links. On my own posts I have all three, a link to to the start of that particular story, the previous post in the sequence, and I update all posts to include the “next” link once I have it posted. Tumblr’s post formatting makes this SO easy, there’s no real reason not to do it, because it’s super helpful to readers, and trust me, people want to read from the beginning. Maybe not everyone, but you also don’t want to turn people away because they couldn’t find the start of your cool story. So, I repeat, all stories should have this format: Beginning/ Previous / Next links on each post. I’m beating a dead horse here, but it’s so nice, as a reader, just to be able to flip through someone’s story via easy linking, because I don’t have to break my immersion of the story by tabbing out or looking around, or scrolling through your posts to find the next one in line.
Helpful side note: If you’re the type of writer who posts things out of chronological order, using these links would still be a good idea, because you can go back and edit them at any time, and you can link to any post on your tumblr, so if you post something later down the line that you think should have happened at an earlier time in the story, you can just rearrange your links to reflect your correct chronological timeline.
3. Tag correctly. Some simblr writers have more intensive tagging systems than I do, so I won’t speak too much about this, because as a reader, I don’t really use tags to navigate new stories I read. But it is still important to tag all posts in a story the same, so either with the title or legacy name, and then you can tag individual chapters or episodes if you want to. Also be sure to tag if you’re doing a story, or a legacy, or whatever type of story. I use #ts4 story #sims story #ts4 storytelling, there’s a whole other slew of legacy tags which I don’t use, cuz obviously I am not a legacy simblr.
4. Have a table of contents or story page of some sort, especially if you’re doing multiple stories/legacies at once, but even if you’re not, it will help people who are lurking around your profile navigate through your story. If you’d like an example of how to format them, here is my story page and here are my table of contents pages. As I am not the be all and end all for formatting, I think another great example is @beverlyallitsimsindex page(she made it SO easy to catch up on her MLSC story and now I’m just another Randy fangirl. I’m a living testament to this process working wonders!).
5. Billboard advertising. Okay, now this one is totally optional, but if you are doing a legacy or story, it’s a really nice little touch to have a banner or some tell, even if it’s just a small one (you don’t need to be some Photoshop wizard), to let people know that this is an ongoing thing you’re doing, not just a random collection of photos (those are cool too!), but some people go looking specifically for stories and/or legacies to read, so having a banner or something with your story title or legacy name (generation number) is a good idea, too.
Bottom Line: Make your stuff accessible! Unless, of course, you don’t actually want people to read it lol, which is totally fine, too. Some people like to use their blogs as a personal outlet, and don’t need to be noticed. But there’s nothing wrong with trying to be visible, and if you do have a small pool of readers, be generous and help them along. Total strangers want to read your work, put in a little extra time to make sure their stay is a pleasant one. You know, before you rip out their hearts with your edgy theatrical sim-drama.
Again, idk if this answers your question, Nonny. But I do want to help! If anyone has any questions or is looking for advice, feel free to message me, either privately, or on Nonny, I don’t mind. My inbox is always open.
also known as: “When Jade Hates Her Own Half-Assed Decorating”
I’ve fallen in love with Laney’s Forever House, and I’ve invested 100% of my energy making it perfect. So, when I peeped this office/guest bedroom I did, I had to wonder what in the holy hell I was thinking, because it was fucking terrible LOL. I did complete overhaul, and I thought this was the most strikingly hilarious example of why I can never do anything of importance in this game. Anyhow, this is my ongoing work in progress, you’ll all see tons more screenshots of Laney’s house over the next few months, because I’m obsessed with it.
also ITT: Jade’s terribly unedited and hastily taken interior screenshots (swim away!)
How did u get noticed on simblr? I'm trying and I get barely any notes so it's not fun after all the hard work.
Hi Nonny, I’ve mostly said my piece on this here. But two things I just want to impress upon further. Firstly, like, I know you probably just mean you want to draw more traffic to your blog, which is 100% understandable, but the focus on “notes” is not what you should be gunning for. You really should be putting the work into your blog for you, doing what you like, and showcasing what you’re proud of. If you don’t like what you post, then what would be the point?
Secondly, I don’t really think my blog is super popular, but I have dedicated friends/readers who keep up with my stuff that I’m really grateful for. The honest truth in that is what I have said before: Simblr is a community that is about getting back what you put in. You have to put time and effort into cultivating good relationships here (just like in any other community) and being present. I never expected anyone to go out of their way to find or engage with me, so I went out looking for connections and I found them. I’ve been an active part of the community for a little over a year now. I think most people who know me can vouch for that? I read a lot of stories, and I always try to leave comments when I stop in. I like to talk to other sim storytellers and have made a lot of friends that way. But I also just… do things for other people. I think that’s the best way to present yourself if you’re not socially adept or great at making friends. In my case, I create poses, I used to do interior requests, I try to showcase other simblrs, I have had like 50 different community/collaborative projects, etc. The best thing you can do, the best advice anyone can give you Nonny, is just to engage people. This is a social website, so being social is the best way to get noticed.
But really, if it isn’t fun for you, then there’s no need to force yourself out of your comfort zone or something. You do you, and as soon as that stops being rewarding, then, ya know, greener pastures or whatever they say.
Okay, so it’s officially my turn to promote how amazing merging is for your game. I’m going to tell it as a really dramatic epic:
It was a dark and stormy night. Weary after many months of having to wait 30-40 minutes for her build save to load, and realizing she could only take so many showers in a day, Jade ventured far and wide for something, or someone who could save her from this tiresome curse. She journeyed west, to the Temple of Waifu, where she spoke to the famed and powerful guru that resided there: Coleslaw Sifu.
“What can I do? Thirty minutes for 10gbs of CC is way too long!” Jade cried to the guru. “Please help me, Wise One. Bestow your wisdom on me.”
“You must harness the sacred, ancient power of Sims 4 Studio, my child.” Answered the Sifu.
“Sims 4 Studio? B-But what do I do?” Jade wept.
“It’s under Tools.” The Sifu said, dissolving into many particles and disappearing into a wispy mist.
Taking the advice she learned from the wise guru, Jade returned home where she divided 10gbs of sims 4 cc into 23 packages. Will this really help me? She thought. Anxious, she placed her new merged files into her game, and pressed Start. The minutes passed, one… two. Jade began to lose hope.
“Merging won’t make a difference!” She said, defeated.
A miracle! The eight minute mark hit… and the naive girl was shocked to see… the Sims 4 loading screen! It was incredible! Her loading time had decreased from a tedious 30 minutes to a mere eight! Gods be to glory, she was saved.
“Thank you Sifu Coleslaw,” she whispered into the wind.
Moral of the story: Merge your shit, seriously. I’m not kidding. It can make SUCH a huge difference. My life is fucking saved.
…look back on their story posts from like 5 months ago (or older if you’re an elder simblr) and just be all “Oh my god, my babies were so little”. Why do my sims look like they’ve aged when they actually haven’t? They’re still young adults in game, hello? Maybe I’m just projecting it on them like, “Yeah they’ve seen some shit. They look so mature now.” or in my case “Aww, they used to be so innocent, but now they look a fuckin mess.”
So, this message is really geared at anyone who was emotionally invested in my Life & Times series, and is probably a long time coming. Of course, the vast majority of you already know about this, so just ignore me. To everyone else…
Business in the Front, Party in the Back: An announced un-hiatus
Since I know a couple people with degrees in this kind of thing… Here is me announcing that my hiatus officially ends today, with my first A Little Mouse post. I’ve been down for about a month now, so I’m going to reblog some stuff, just so that my page is in chronological order, and then I’ll add the new one sometime this evening. BUT BEFORE I GET TO THAT I AM GOING TO REPEAT MY WARNING!
ALM Disclaimer: This story is super dark! And kind of messed up! If you’d like for me to remain a pastel simmer on your dashboard, here are the tags I will be using with this story: #a little mouse, #alm, #wicked after dark, #mature content, #trigger warning, #nsfw. I will not be tagging individual triggers because 1.) there’s too many and 2.) trigger warnings trigger me.
In other news… are one-click replies still borked? I’m so sad. Well, thank you everyone who replied to my school release post and merging post! Sorry I can’t respond to you individually :’( Also, I’m going to be going on a monster catch-up mission over the next few days to read all the story updates I conveniently missed over the last month, so if you see me spamming your inbox… sorry lol.
EDIT: I forgot to mention! After a month of being locked out of my Pinterest, I finally have access again. So, drop your url/name so I can follow some new boards!! Or follow me at pinterest.com/lazysunjade
Hey dudes, when does everyone’s school year/semester end? Generally? I know it’s kind of different across country/state lines. I’m just curious because my dash is so dead and I’m waiting for people to get done with exams and school bs and fill my eyes with their beautiful summer content 😍
Part two of me being terrible at remembering who tagged me… thanks @ everyone ♥
Relationship Status: Married Favorite Color: Black and pastel pink Lipstick or Chapstick:Chapstick Last Song I Listened To: Tokyo Sunrise - LP Last Movie I Watched: Warcraft Top 3 Fictional Characters:
Scarlett O’Hara - Gone with the Wind
Azula - Avatar: The Last Airbender
Sebastian Michaelis - Black Butler
Top 3 Ships:
Shizaya - Durarara!
Syndra x Zedd - LoL
Miraculous Ladybug x Cat Noir
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Top Simblr Ships:
Books I’m Currently Reading:I don’t like reading. Lots of sims stories!
Since I got a positive response from the last post, starting from my next story post, I will now include a download link for any personal poses I use within my scenes. Just a reminder that these won’t be fully-fleshed out poses, so don’t expect top notch quality, they’re just “good enough” to stage up a story scene. I also probably won’t be going through the motions of creating it as a “public” pack, so I won’t be putting pictures or anything on the files, but I assume that anyone who bothers to download them is doing so because they have a very specific use for them and will just trash them afterwards. Consider them little gifts for following my story (as I won’t be marking them as downloads) :D So now when you see a “Pose” link on my story posts, this is what it’ll be referring to. Yessss ♥
here's a fun thing: YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED! Let's talk about your story! Here's what you do: 1. how many stories are you writing? 2. What's your favorite story/favorite post you've written? 3. Who do you personally ship in your story? 4: Who do you think has had the most character development in your story (bonus: why) 5. Tag 3 story simblr that you've been reading!
OMG what the hell, what a fun tag! I’ve never seen this one before :o
1. How many stories are you writing? Well, currently just A Little Mouse. Dreams in Pastel Pink is on hiatus since I have the attention span of a doormouse and I can only work on one thing at a time.
What’s your favorite story/favorite post you’ve written?
That’s really hard. Well, Life and Times was my favorite sims story to write, but so far I think ALM’s prologues are my favorite posts, because I feel like they’re really good benchmarks for what I’ve learned as far as storytelling through the sims, which takes into account both my photo editing, and my ability to tell a story in a different way then I would usually.
3. Who do you personally ship in your story?
Ahhhhhhaha. I don’t? I don’t ship my characters. I ship Laney and Klein the sims, I think they are cute simmies, but as characters in a story I hate them together. ALM isn’t really shipping friendly either. I suppose I ship Roen and his rebound, lol.
4: Who do you think has had the most character development in your story (bonus: why)? So, in Life and Times + Dreams, I think that would be Roen, though that has yet to be seen so I can’t talk about it (spoiler alert). Laney’s story is primarily about regression, so by design she’s not developing at all, or moving backwards. Klein just sort of stagnates. But sometimes I think it’s more fun to hone on the reality of going fucking nowhere than actually developing as a human, because that’s what I constantly deal with in my own life. I think by the end, Laney and Klein will still have much shorter development cycles, overall, than Roen.
@eslanes sweet, sweet eslanes, rest in pepperonis, you will be missed
5 Random Facts: 1. Disney World is my favorite place on earth 2. I have 2 tattoos that include peoples names, neither of which are my husband’s 3. I grew up thinking I wanted to go to Harvard because of Gilmore Girls #lol 4. I never, ever, ever wear any kind of makeup, including fingernail paint or lip gloss #aunatural 5. I’m asexual. Since it’s pride month, I should do a picture, because I actually never knew that aces were included in the LGBT community until a week ago. So there’s my #pride.
Thank you lovelies for following me on my 50 different blogs xD you’re all great!
was tagged by @pixeltrashcan@neutralsupply and @laylasims to do this ♥ thank you boos ♥ Though mine was kind of junked up since all I’ve been posting lately are downloads, so I did last 7 days instead.